• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to test keyless entry fob/remote?

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
!!!1 So how do I do it? I've searched and everybody is asking about how to program the fob but do any of you know how to test the remote to see if it works? My XJ came with 2 remotes but only one seems to work. I'm hoping that the jeep isn't programed to accept the second remote.

Can it be done at home?

Thanks,
Eric

Unfortunately the story i have recieved from the dealer and the internet sales companies etc. is that only the dealership can program the xj's (well atleast my year 98 i assume others are the same) When they program the remotes they have to do it at the same time so it would have cost me 50$ to program 3 remotes or 50$ to program one remote. Now i heard stories of other jeep owners having the dealer program their remotes for like 10 - 15$ so it must depend on the dealer??? Remotes are by the piles on Ebay for these things. You can pick them up cheap if you need to. Also just a FYI you may be confused by the remotes calling themselves #1's and #2's. It doesnt matter you can buy either one as long as it LOOKs the same as yours. They are only numbered so people wouldnt mix up their key chains. (DONT ASK ME??)

Hope this helps, i am not a pro at all however i went through this once.

Oh and sorry i dont know how to test them????????????

File 05 said:
!!!1 So how do I do it? I've searched and everybody is asking about how to program the fob but do any of you know how to test the remote to see if it works? My XJ came with 2 remotes but only one seems to work. I'm hoping that the jeep isn't programed to accept the second remote.

Can it be done at home?

Thanks,
Eric

Most service advisors at the dealership will do this as a courtesy, especially if you are making a purchase, even if it's a lube oil filter.

am i missing the obvious question of how to test them, why dont you stand next to the damn thing and push buttons! if it locks/unlocks it works, if not it dont!

The guy I got the friggen thing from said he wasn't sure if it was the right one for the Jeep. He thought the battery was dead and he had sold his other jeep a few days before I picked this one up. SO He wasn't sure if they were mixed up or if it was dead. I replaced the battery so that aint the problem. I just want to know if I can test it to make sure it works or doesn't before I go searching for another one on ebay :cry:

it will depend on the dealer and their willingness to be helpfull ,
we have a radio frequency detector style tester , quick and dirty but lets you know if the remote works . ( considered an essential tool , so most dealers should have one )
takes two seconds to test and should be a freeebie , if they are cool about it .

as for programming , you didnt say what year it was .
generally we use the drb3 , for keys and fobs .
a 2 minute search found this , try it it might work . http://www.thejeep.com/pilandprogram.html

You can't just use any two remotes, they must be a pair (contain the same key code).

I take that back, you can't use any too IR remotes, they must be purchased in matched pairs, but the newer RF (Radio Frequency) can be reprogrammed to match each other.

Last edited:
there are locksmiths that have spent the money to do the programming as well as dealers. The only problem is sometimes they can be almost as expensive I lost a key fob got one off ebay with the correct FCC id and all that BS took it to the locksmith and he programmed it for me for 40 bux dealer wanted 80

Try this, you have one working fob now, so what you need to do is teach the non-working fob the code stored in the working one.
Lay both fobs on the table, press and hold the Chrysler emblem down on the non-working one and press the lock buttons on the working one.

I think that cause the non-working one to learn the codes from to working one.

langer1 said:
Try this, you have one working fob now, so what you need to do is teach the non-working fob the code stored in the working one.
Lay both fobs on the table, press and hold the Chrysler emblem down on the non-working one and press the lock buttons on the working one.

I think that cause the non-working one to learn the codes from to working one.

Wow, Umm.
I can't decide to take that seriously or not. :banghead:

If you changed the battery, and the new battery is assumed good, and the remote won't operate the locks, then the remote is not the right one for your Jeep. You have three options, now. 1) See if you can get together with the guy that bought the seller's other Jeep and swap fobs, or 2) Get your RKE unit programmed to match your "non-working" remote (see link above for programming instructions at thejeep.com), or 3) disable the factory RKE unit and install an aftermarket unit that comes with two fobs.

The RKE remotes either work or they don't. There really isn't any testing that can be done. If you press the buttons and the red light on the remote blinks, it's good. If the light blinks and the locks don't operate, then your RKE isn't programmed to accept that remote.

It isn't actually the remotes that are programmed. It is the RKE unit in the car that is programmed to accept the remote. Each RKE unit can be programmed to accept up to 4 remotes. After that, you have to replace the RKE unit.

It isn't actually the remotes that are programmed. It is the RKE unit in the car that is programmed to accept the remote. Each RKE unit can be programmed to accept up to 4 remotes. After that, you have to replace the RKE unit.

Actually in this year both are programmable, fobs can be put in learn mode and copy the code from the working one.

Back