• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

neutral safety switch won't come off

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, i'm new here and i'm actually on comancheclub.com...as i am a comanche man.

but i have a 1995 jeep cherokee 2 door that has a aw4 tranny that i just replaced (old one went to hell). anyways, the neutral safety switch on the new tranny isn't working, and i saw the http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm site, and tried getting it off via pulling prying on the bolt after loosening it. apparently i loosened it too far because now it's pulled all the threads off and i can't use the nut to pry the nss off.

i just want to get it off in 1 piece, and then see if i can clean it...$230 for a new one at bumper to bumper is too much, pulling one froma junkyard is not a good idea (broken ankle + junkyard = bad).

any ideas on how to get it off? i noticed that the nut actually squeezes the threaded piece so it will use pressure to stay on the tranny. any way i could pry the threads loose without breaking them? i'm at a loss

Get a wire brush, if you have move the NSS at all, push it all the way back on, then brush the shaft coming out of the tranny. Make sure you do all sides of it and then drench it in pbblaster. It should come off much easier now, at least it did on mine when I got stuck. Good Luck.

I agree here. Just had this battle last week. Soak it in PB and push it all the way in. before hitting the shaft with a brush. The treaded tabs are weak and can break off easy so be careful. It does take a bit of prying though. I also found that if you lightly tap the shaft with a wrench while pulling on it that helped.

ok. i sorta gave up for now...but i will maybe do it tomorrow. my other option is to run the B and C wires together from the connector, and bypass the neutral safety. but then i wouldn't have any backup lights and thus it wouldn't pass safety inspection.

I bypassed it...i'll go get a good one from the jy off a different tranny, then break this sumb*tch off and just slide the new one on...i sold the xj to a friend and just needed it running and driving.

Back