• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackeless traction bar

xj9140

NAXJA Forum User
TractioBar.jpg

Tell me why this won't work. I plan to use eather cheepy poly bushings or tractor joints. I thot this up because I wanted cemetry and one on each side of the dif. But I'm worried about it limiting flex. So I may only run on one side. Will 1/2 inch wall dom be stronge enuff?

xj9140 said:
TractioBar.jpg

Tell me why this won't work. I plan to use eather cheepy poly bushings or tractor joints. I thot this up because I wanted cemetry and one on each side of the dif. But I'm worried about it limiting flex. So I may only run on one side. Will 1/2 inch wall dom be stronge enuff?
you need to learn some English, and 1/2 thick DOM is way overkill for that thing. No comment on your sketch/design, probably not a wise idea but stranger things have been done. It won't work because those circle thingies are not attached to your "axle tube":) or what ever is on the other side:)

Last edited:
Skullvarian said:
you need to learn some English, and 1/2 thick DOM is way overkill for that thing. No comment on your sketch/design, probably not a wise idea but stranger things have been done. It won't work because those circle thingies are not attached to your "axle tube":) or what ever is on the other side:)
Funny I was going to say learn to spell first. Then I thought that wouldn't be nice:nono:

If you are planing to use top links they will piviot but not give for and aft so you will still need a shackle. If you are talking about some kind of slip shaft it might work but then again it may bind because of all the pressure on it.
The 1/2" walled tubing would work if it was desiged perfectly but think bombproof thick steel for the rest. What are you planning to use for the bar itself A top link or pto drive shaft slip yoke or ?

scorpio_vette why??? what problem are you trying to fix, that most likely already has a simpler answer.

I want to go to a softer spring, but not have spring wrap issues. This seems simpler than most traction/antiwrap bar designs I have seen. To clarify there will be a wristed slip joint, 2" OD 1/2" wall dom, over 1" OD, solid stock or 3/8 wall. Should work out awsome and be super easy.

Do it, and let us know how it worked out. I think keeping the slip joint properly greased and rust-free will require some sort of sleeve, or grease seal. I also think you'll need a bracket on the axle that captures a lot of tube.

xj9140 said:
scorpio_vette why??? what problem are you trying to fix, that most likely already has a simpler answer.

I want to go to a softer spring, but not have spring wrap issues. This seems simpler than most traction/antiwrap bar designs I have seen. To clarify there will be a wristed slip joint, 2" OD 1/2" wall dom, over 1" OD, solid stock or 3/8 wall. Should work out awsome and be super easy.
How about helping us help you?What lift(be exact) are you running now?What are you thinking you need?What do you do with your rig?What shocks do you run?

alot of trucks just use link with one attachment point on each side of it
but you have to make sure it is on the opposite side of the axletube as the leaf spring(in this case it has to be mounted on the bottom) to really be effective. this way you dont need a shackle

Back