• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Sound From AC Compressor and Oil on valve cover?

XJCruiser

NAXJA Forum User
1997 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Two months ago I put a 4" lift on my XJ, since then I have had oil leaks coming from somewhere but couldnt find them, then they went away. Today I went out and started it and there is a weird whirring sound coming from the AC compressor?, a few large cracks in the exhaust manifold, and oil coming out of the valve cover from the oil cap, and the two valves going into it on the front and back. Then after driving it for 15 minutes went into the store. Came out started it up and there was a 5 or 6 second backfire? What is happening to my XJ??????? Ive replaced muffler, catalytic converter, tranny coolant lines, etc. Is all this caused by the same thing? or is it all seperate problems? I know each will need special attention but what caused all of this to happen all at once? Any help would be great.

hasnt backfired since. dont know what caused the exhaust manifold to crack tho. i am told this needs replaced or welded for inspection. the oil leak was coming from the valve cover gasket the bolts werent tight. hasnt leaked since. ac clutch is going bad sounds as though there is a bearing missing in the pulley? anyone know how to bypass this????? other than that im not sure. dealer part ac clutch is $190 none of the junkyards around here have any ac compressors to rip the clutch off of. dealer wants $119 just for this plate that the bypass pulley goes on. so im almost better off putting on a new clutch by the time i buy the hardware and the pulley. dont know for sure what im going to do. I have it up for sale right now AS-IS. Tired of putting money and wrench time into it. I have kept this as maintained as possible just like the guy i bought it from (oil and filter change every 3K, kept everything greased, etc.) just tired of monkeying around i guess.

Back