• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep both XJs or consolidate?

filmxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I have an 89 and a 98. I use the 89 as a trail rig and the 98 as a daily driver, but have been considering consolidating into one rig. I'd be interested to hear opinions.

My 89 has 5" of lift with 3" coils and 2" spacers in the front, rear 3" springs with 1" block and 1.5" shackles. Dana 44 rear w/ lock-right, 30 front, 4.10 gears, 32x10.50 swamper TSLs. It has the puke goat 5 speed - works but reverse pops out. NP 231 and 4.0 6. Heat, air, power windows, power locks, guages, rear wiper...these are all things that DON'T work. 170k miles

My 98 has the HO 4.0 with the AW-4 NP 231, dana 30 and 8.5 with 3.55 gears. Power everything - and it all works. Body is perfectly straight and clean. 2" spacers and 2" S-10 frankensprings in back. Also a Warn t-case skid. 30" cooper cobras. 90k miles.

My idea is to swap the 4.10 D30 and 44 in but use the 297x axle shafts from the newer D30. I'd pick and choose lift components to get about 4.5" or so of lift. I know I'd probably have to budget $500 or so for a SYE and CV driveshaft.

I'd lose some gas mileage on my daily driver, but I'd save a little insurance money and have a vehicle that is a lot nicer to spend time in.

What would you do?

Yeah, the great thing about the old one is that I can drive it how I want without being too concerned about the body. It's hard for me to keep my taillights, mirrors, and rocker panels in good shape.

My tranny is functional, but I wouldn't reccommed it as a swap. My experience with them is that it is enough work to R/R the tranny that it pays to find one that will last a while.

Your plan sounds great. With your planned 4.5" of lift you probably won't have to mess w/SYE and CV. I've got about 4.5" on mine and no vibration at all. It still behaves well on the road too. Put that $ towards some lockers and armor.

Keep your DD how it is and find a donor rig to combine with your trail rig. Or not, it's up to you.

You should definitely keep the SYE in the budget. Just because some guy on some internet BB said he didn't have vibes, doesn't mean you won't. Getting rid of vibrations isn't the only reason to do an SYE anyway.

yeah SYE is a good thing to keep in the budget(like he^^ said) I just installed a 3.5" kit on my 99 and have vibes like crazy....Anyways, your plan sounds great. That is what I would do....

If you do a good amount of trails that could cause damage to your jeep then I would keep both. It is always nice when you break something knowing you have something else to fall back one.

If you are not worried about breaking stuff and do not do aggressive type trails and I would make two into one.

The old 89 rides fine even with the 5.5" lift, but the 98 took a 1/2" xfer case drop to get the vibes out of only two inches of lift. While it may work for some on the later model XJs, I'm anticipating vibes if/when I lift.

Only mechanical damage I've had is a hydrolocked/blown engine and a toasted transfer case. I think I could stay out of trouble if I combined, but there is nothing like the freedom of knowing that if there is breakage or body damage it just really isn't a huge deal.

I would cringe if I toasted a body panel on the new one.

keep them both. i wheel my daily driver.....or in my case i guess you could say i daily drive my trail rig. LOL there isn't a straight panel left on the jeep. personally i don't care as long as the drivetrain gets me back home. but anytime i go wheeling, i never relaxe and have 100% fun, cuz there is always that though whether or not i'll be able to get home or to work the next day. if i had 2 rigs, then at least the getting to work part wouldn't matter. only the getting home part. that i could live with.

I concur with the majority here. My 91 is strictly a toy and not depended on for daily transportation. This way if something terrible happens(ie, I roll it again) I'm not in a huge bind. I guess it's a "piece of mind" sorta thing.

Jess said:
keep both...if you break one, you don't have to worry about how you're getting to work the next day.
x2

keep the old beater as just that...the one you don't care about damaging. then when that kicks the bucket and is not fixable, then think about switching your stuff over or pick up another $400 junker to swap your stuff into

Back