• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 cherokee alarm issues

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at picking up a jeep for cheap because the owner cannot figure out the problem. It is a 92 jeep cherokee 4.0 engine with auto tranny. The owner took out the factory car alarm and now it won't start. Any ideas or clues on where to start or how to get it started? Thanks.

Kim

Are you sure it's a factory alarm system? As far as I know, most factory alarms are built into the PCM so it would be impossible to remove it.

If it was an aftermarket alarm, it is tied into the neutral start system or start wire from the ignition switch to prevent it from starting if the alarm is triggered.

Not a real expert in 92 wiring so maybe someone else can chime in to help, but that is a good place to begin.

Later,
Joe

I don't know if it was a factory alarm or not. I just found out about the jeep earlier today so I need to get some more info. I hope it is an aftermarket alarm. Sounds like an easy fix. If this was a factory alarm could they have damaged the PCM beyond repair?
Sorry, just don't know much about the wiring on the jeeps. Any other ideas out there? Thanks.

Kim

Ok, finally went and picked up this heap and got the scoop on it. Like already stated it is a 92 with factory alarm.
Previous owner had the alarm go off and found it located in the drivers door. He disconnected the alarm to get it to turn off. Then he hooked the alarm back up and now won't start. He was told it could possibly be a sensor on the fly wheel but I don't know of a sensor there for an alarm. Any ideas out there for what to do next? Thanks.

Kim

I've seen on some systems when you disable the alarm in the improper way, it will confuse the system and make it think that the alarm is still armed, when it is really not.

I'm not real familiar with factory alarms, and actually didn't know one was offered on any year XJ. I know some of the after market ones are tied in with the fuel pump, and kill the power to it when the alarm goes off.

99XJSPORT06 said:
I've seen on some systems when you disable the alarm in the improper way, it will confuse the system and make it think that the alarm is still armed, when it is really not.

If this is the case, anyone know how take care of this problem?

I'm not real familiar with factory alarms, and actually didn't know one was offered on any year XJ. I know some of the after market ones are tied in with the fuel pump, and kill the power to it when the alarm goes off.

This is a factory alarm.

Kim

My 91 has a factory alarm.

The switch on the drivers lock is bad on mine as well. hook everything back up and diconnect the battery. Then hook it back up and lock/unlock the passengers side door with the key. This should let it start again. I get around having it not go off by always unlocking with the keyless remote. If you don't have it always remember to unlock the passengers side first or my freakin horn starts honking.

There are some threads on this board about disabling the factory alarm you can find with the search.

BTW, it is not in the PCM. The alarm module is up by the steering column in its own box.

Andy

Well, I am in a real "fix". I purchased my '92 Limited a couple months back and the seller told be that the aftermarket alarm (base model Code Alarm) was a real PITA. It armed itself after 52 seconds, or something close to that and I had to use the key fob, to disarm it each time before opening the door. I finally downloaded the installer and owner's manuals and thought I had it fixed by just using the valet mode. Left my fob at home one day and unlocked it with the key. I had never heard the horns before and I knew that something was up because I had cut the wimpy aftermarket siren's wires weeks ago (and I yanked the oem horn wires lose during the episode).

Through searching I have found that I have an OEM security system as well as the aftermarket one. As far as I am able to comphrehend, the OEM system disarms when a key is used in a door. Mine apparently armed when I used mine. Using the aftermarket fob let me start it but, I am still in a quandry on how to get a cheap fix for this irrating problem.

I am in the process of trying to locate a '92 XJ owners manual to deal with that end and finding a Code Alarm tech to help me to seperate the systems.

Well, for my situation, I figured out how to take care of the alarm issue. There is a black module box just under the driver side dash with a plug on each side. All I did is unplug both sides, take out the black box, and put the two plugs together and she started right up.
No problems since. Thanks for all the help everyone. Now I have myself a cherokee daily driver.

Kim

Back