• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear whine on coast side, what does it mean???

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I'm getting a gear whine with my new gears(4.56s on ARB) while coasting, it's worst between 45-55. Just so happens that's where I do most of my driving. The gears were purchased used from Dave Nay who said they had 5k on them. THey have 275 miles on this setup. The install was done by Steve Johnshon of Xtreme Jeeps in Fredricksburg, VA who says he's done a ton of setups and came highly recommended over on POR. Is it something as simple as the pinion nut backing off and needs to be retorqued? or what? I've never done gears, but I know people who have and I want this noise to go away, it's really annoying me. Thanks

Ary

P.S. Yeah, I know, I said the Jeep was fixed, at least it's not clunking to death anymore.

This really sounds familiar!First talk to Steve!What brand of gears?What was the run-out on the mounted gears?What was the pattern?What was the backlash(checked at least 4 places).

hmmmmm......

didn't dave always bitch about how noisy his 8-1/4 was?

looks like his r&p set-up was suspect?

do you have a picture of the pattern?

My TJ with a D44 3.73 gears (factory) has a some gear wine and highway speeds. its not defening but you can hear it at high speeds. and I have never had a problem check your diff fluid make sure its up to level.

Also did the dude that installed the gears use locktite to lock in the pinion nut, otherwise the nut sometimes might loosen causing the pinion to back out and have some extra space meshing of the gears. thts th only thing that i know that can cause a problem.

Grab the yoke and see if there is any play there. My D44 had coast side howl because the installer didn't seat the pinnion race all the way. Once it seated the pinnion started to walk around causing the howl.

Jes

Ary,

I've got the same problem with my 8.25 on my '98 after a recent install of 4.56 gearing...sigh. My whine emminates around 30 mph through about 40 mph, dies down, then comes back at around 60 mph, but not as loud.

The guy who install my gearing has many years of experience, and complained the whole time that he has a hell of a time trying to get a decent pattern. He questioned the Precision gears I got, but they are suppose to be one of the better ones.

I too thought it was perhaps a loose pinion, but such was not the case when my installer checked it all out again.

After all I've been through now, I've come to fully understand what Dave Nay was trying to convey about the 8.25.... it's a damn noisy axle and a bitch to set. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone the route of a Explorer 8.8 retrofit. For now, I'll put up with the gear whine as I start saving funds for an 8.8 change out in the future. I've gotten use to the noise somewhat, but it still gnaws at me.... :mad:

Ivan

Run TSL's...you'll forget how to hear.

I had the same problem with the Precision Gears.. whine at coast! Then had my mechanic reset them and then it was down hill after that. Had to get a new gear set and went for US Gear!! According to my mechanic the US Gear is easier to set.. he put all 3 pinions(original) on a workbench and US Gear looks a lot closer to the original! Stay away from Precision for the 8.25 if I were you

Back