• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler hose size

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
First, for the nanny's, I did look this up and didn't find it.

I went to Auto Zone to get hose and clamps to install my tranny cooler and they said I needed 5/16 " tranny hose. I thought that I should have 3/8" hose, but they didn't even have that size! Can I use the 5/16" hose or should I find 3/8" for the job. I'm wonderin if the 5/16 will increase the pressure and reduce the volume of fluid enough to screw up tranny operation.

Thanks for any help!

I would go with the 3/8" and try to get the Gates transmission oil hose. Double clamp each end for a little trail insurance! If you are connecting to your stock lines that you have cut, put a slight flare(double flare, but not all the way) on the end of the solid line to prevent the hose from slipping off.

When I plumb any of the race stuff up I use 6AN. So that would make 3/8" the best choice for push on hose. :D

Thanks! As always, you guys rock!

I have a picture of my tranny cooler install, but don't know how to post it here.

Fish'nCarz said:

Your headlight is broken.

209hv8z.jpg

Thanks, SCW!

I'll have to look at that light. ;^)

Fish'nCarz said:

Do I spy a ford explorer cooler?
nice clean install I did the same thing only mine is mounted with the large tab down
and mounted to the fiberglass grill area
always wondered if I was the only one out there who did that...
I picked up two at a yard for $15
I used the second for a steering cooler mounted opposite side
this is definately the way to go!

Good eye! Yep, it's an Exploder cooler. $7 at the U-Wreck-it yard. They had a newer Cherokee with the original optional cooler, but I liked the stacked plate design and bigger size of this one.

I filled it with solvent and plugged the tubes for a couple of days, and then rigged up a funnel to the old hoses and an empty milk jug. Then I ran a gallon of mineral spirits through the cooler a few times and let it drain with tubes down over night. Then I cleaned it up with gunk, washed it with TSP and water, scuffed it up with a Scotch Brite pad and painted it with low gloss engine spray paint. I bent the longer tab in the vise and slid it under one of the big torqs screws and the angle the cowl bolts to and drilled two new holes on the bottom x-member for bolting the other tabs to. Used brass connectors and stainless clamps to hook into the rubber hose on the return to the tranny. Hoses are zip tied to where they pass through the panel below the radiator and to each other under the radiator.

I drained the ATF before I mounted this and got about 3 - 3 1/4 quarts out. Took a gallon of ATF to bring it back to full after the cooler was installed. It may be all in my mind, but I think the tranny works better now than it has since I bought it in December. And it ran cooler than usual on the hottest day of the year so far!!!!

Last edited:
Good deal
however I did not clean mine as well as you... although I probably should have
I just flushed it with new fluid and called it good
the stacked plate design is better IMHO and the fit is perfect for the front of the XJ
I did not want to use one that zip tied to the condenser and that is what you get with most aftermarket ones
Worked like a champ on my steering had a bad howl with my 33s on the trail.... pump was just boiling flushed it added the cooler problem solved

Have you noticed an increase in operating temperature running the a/c with 2 coolers in front of the condenser? I'm a little worried about cutting down the air flow too much.

I have had cooloing problems but it is due to a bunch of cold or plugged spots in the radiator
working on putting a new rad in
I will let you how it does once I change things out

how did you hook it up to the power steering lines?

XJ_99 said:
how did you hook it up to the power steering lines?

I would like to know that too. I just got done last weekend dong a run that was nothing but left right left right and up steep grades. I started smelling PS fluid.

If i remember right. the hi pressure line is the out (from pump to box) and the low pressure line is in (from box to pump).

Back