• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vibrations

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
i have recently put a 4.5'' lift on my jeep and i put a sye on with a front driveshaft but i am still getting vibrations and i dont know whats causing it. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

That is probably where your vibrations are coming from. I run 4.5" SYE and the front driveshaft and I have 4 degree shims. They work well for me, but you should use an angle finder to know exactly what shim you will need.

The driveshaft and the pinion should be in nearly the same plane. If you are looking at it from the side the driveshaft and pinion will be in a straight line. If they are not you will have vibes running the front drive shaft. The pinion should be 1 to 2 degrees less than the driveshaft.

If you search on here there is a ton of info on this. Also check out tom woods site for a diargram. http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

rhino317 said:
i dont think it is the driveshaft because i had to take the driveshaft out and drive in front wheel drive and i had the same vibrations

Well that tells you that your problem is not in the rear.

What year is your XJ?
LP D30 maybe?

Hale

I suggest you pull the front shaft and see if you still have vibes.

Hale

rhino317 said:
what can i expect driving wize when i pull the front shaft? and is it bad to do this or is this a pretty common thing?

Pulling the front shaft won't hurt a thing. It will act just like it always does in 2wd. You just won't have 4wd of course. If your front shaft is removed and you have no vibes.......the front shaft is the issue. Which is entirely possible since you have the LP (low pinion) D30.

Hale

I told you you might have to remove the front driveshaft.
I drove it, and I still think most of what you feel is the lugs of your Claws at low speed.
Bring it back over and I'll pull off that transfer case drop and if the vibe gets worse, then you know the front ds has to come off.

Ahhh.
Looks like you are in good hands rhino.
Mr. Sooner there does know his stuff.
Very possible that it's the tires at low speeds.
Most MT's will feel like that at low speeds.

Pulling the front shaft will tell you if it's the tires or not. It's simple and won't take 10 min.

Hale

I’ve got a similar problem with bad vibes. With my new drive haft I can hear and feel it at a slow roll and gets worse the faster I drive. But when I put a front drive haft in the rear its not as bad but still there. And yes I’ve tried every thing above.
So my question is has any one had any problems with there SYE?

98 auto
5.5 TNT lift
JE REEL drive haft
AA SYE

rhino317 said:
i dont think it is the driveshaft because i had to take the driveshaft out and drive in front wheel drive and i had the same vibrations

I didn't see this post. So forget everything I said. My bad.

Back