• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Military paint (specifically desert sand)

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Lookin to paint a beater jeep desert tan (current military color)

where can i look to buy paint like this? ive searched and read the code is 686A for the offical color but im not sure where i'd buy this or for how much, or really how much i should even buy, or if i should even bother with that code at all.
i really just want a desert tan, no frills that i can put in a spray gun.

i know a few guys have done the military paint thing here :)

Gillespie Coatings. I believe they're carried by Army Jeep Parts (Google both) and this has been covered here rather recently as well.

You probalby won't be able to get the "official" paint (CARC) - nor would you want to work with the stuff anyhow. However, Gillespie comes quite close in colour.

I believe Krylon also carries colour matches for GI CARC, but Krylon as always seemed a little "shady" to me (more opinion than anything else, tho - I have heard good reports from the field. I don't even know where I go that opinion in the first place - although I do mainly use Rustoleum for metal projects...)

krylon works great. we use it all the time thanks to our wonderous supply system

ladywolf said:
krylon works great. we use it all the time thanks to our wonderous supply system

As I'd said - good reports from the field. It may be something I picked up from my granddad when I was young and impressionable - he always used Rustoleum, and so do I.

What's happening on your end - CARC not coming through Supply? Bugger... Irritating, but not that unexpected.

I doubt that Gillespie has 686A "Tan". They do offer "Sand".

Easiest may be to locate sample color and have auto paint store color match it. Then you have no problems working with standard auto paint. Maybe cheaper too.

Shogun said:
I doubt that Gillespie has 686A "Tan". They do offer "Sand".

Easiest may be to locate sample color and have auto paint store color match it. Then you have no problems working with standard auto paint. Maybe cheaper too.

686a is the paint code 686 is the color and the A means acrylic enamel.
you should be able to go to Oreilly's or any place that mixes paint and have it made up .
Sean

5-90 said:
What's happening on your end - CARC not coming through Supply? Bugger... Irritating, but not that unexpected.

CARC is nasty stuff, you don't want to be playing with it without lots of protective equipment. You don't touch up CARC in the field, you use spray bombs (usually Krylon or generic) unless the entire truck needs to be repainted.

At least, that's what they told us in the Air Force.

Later,
Joe

I'll back Crash about the CARC paint. your not going to be in a chemical enviroment so you really don't need CARC. you can find desert tan at any hardware store. thats where we usually get some for touch up.

Crash_AF said:
You don't touch up CARC in the field,....
At least, that's what they told us in the Air Force.

HAHAHAHAHA Air Force....Field,...HAHAHAHAH Riiiight. The only "field " seen in the airforce is the "signature field" on the contract they sign.
Of course im a little biased having been a Marine. We know field . and mud.

HAHAHAHAHA Air Force....Field,...HAHAHAHAH Riiiight. The only "field " seen in the airforce is the "signature field" on the contract they sign.
Of course im a little biased having been a Marine. We know field . and mud.

We have less field than you Marines, but we teach Marines how to survive at SERE. And I personally have dumped enough sand out of my boots in AF to make a nice beach...
I can't say many office chairs aren't secured by AF personnel, drones didn't design themselves.
But I respect you Marines greatly! Good talk.

We have less field than you Marines, but we teach Marines how to survive at SERE. And I personally have dumped enough sand out of my boots in AF to make a nice beach...
I can't say many office chairs aren't secured by AF personnel, drones didn't design themselves.
But I respect you Marines greatly! Good talk.

... 8 years later dood. :wave:

... 8 years later dood. :wave:

CARC is nasty. Are you trying to hide from Soviet Gen1 NVG's? FNA grey digi camo with a 725 nanometer bump up is better, just make sure you get the cool kid SWIR low emission 1.25 micron null and high emission mid wave spike, the Iranian UAV's and black helicopter DHS mid wave guys are watching. You heading down to Waco?

Post up cause the FBI and DHS folks need to keep an eye on you fundamentalist radical's.

John

I used a single stage semi-flat sand color on mine. Diamont/RM brand. It was cheap, easy to spray and still after 2 years still looks new. Ive ran mine through mazanitas and pinetree branches and It shows no scratches, its tough as nails.

Back