• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust and Tranny

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I had the exhaust manifold removed from my 1996 ZJ (4.0L)yesterday for some work. The weld cracked where the manifold meets the pipe. When we got it back, everything was fine as far as I could tell.

My wife mentioned today when she got home that there was something funny going on with the tranny. It seems it was shifting at a higher RPM than usual and doing an occasional clunk from 1st to 2nd.

I didn't notice it yesterday driving from the repair shop, but then again she drives the ZJ every day and I only drive it once a week or so. I have also trained myself not to listen for strange noises, because that is all I hear out of my XJ!

Anyway, we went out after dinner and it did seem a little different. Under normal accelleration it was shifting to 2nd at 2250 RPM and 25-28 MPH, then from 2nd to 3rd at 2250 RPM and 30-35 MPH.

Under a more aggressive start it was shifting at about 2750-3000 RPM and about 30-35 MPH from 1st to 2nd.

One more note...the tranny fluid reads OK on the dipstick, although, I have had it for 70000 miles and not had the fluid or the filter changed (I already slapped the back of my hand). The fluid does look clean...and with Cottontail, I've seen dirty fluids!

So after all that explaining, is there any way that they could have done something to cause that irregular shifting during their work?

I can't think of any way that the maniford and tranny could possibly be inter-related, but I want to cover each and every base.

How well do you trust the shop ?? They could have dinged up the linkages when removing the pipes or reinstalling them.
Me, I would get out there with a flashlight or trouble light and look for any new shiny spots, good luck.

Back