• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick help needed with dead battery

Jeff C.

NAXJA Forum User
Hi-- My battery was dead this am. The interior light may have been on for 3 days and it has been below 30 degrees and the battery is pretty old. I charged the battery with my other Jeep, and I get plenty of juice. The lights and door chime are strong, and it cranks hard while attached to the other Jeep. However, it won't catch.

Will a truly dead battery cause this?

Could I have flooded the fuel injectors?

Do I need to reset any of the electonic stuff?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
it might be a good idea to get a new battery, and that doesn't solve the problem, then at least you have a new battery since the one you have now from what you say is old.

it's possible that a truly dead shorted battery may do that. A lot of the electronics freak when they don't get the proper voltage.
Depending on the year, something you should always include in your first post, the voltage is regulated in the PCM, so that could cause a freak out.
If it ran fine before the dead battery I would replace it, and see if it runs fine again.
Otherwise, standard troubleshooting for the 4.0 applies.
Do you have fuel?
if not, check for voltage at the pump
Do you have spark?
if not, check the CPS connector and clean it.

if those don't solve it come back with the results.
and bring the rest of your Jeeps info,
Year, motor, trans are the most important.

with a 97 the PCM does regulate the alternator voltage.
So a shorted battery may be pulling the voltage down sufficiently that the PCM is freaked out.

2 things you might check also, are the ceramic condenser on the drivers fender. You can try to jump it. It may be preventing the correct volts getting to the starting circuit. You can also check your coil connection & Ohms. I had a dead shorted coil that killed a battery for me a while back.

Rob $.02

Changed the battery (in the dark in a snowstorm outside) and it cranked right up. The mechanic waiting in line behind me at the auto parts shop said the same thing 87manche said-- the PCM is sensitive and might be freaking out.

Thanks for the replies.

Back