• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED wiring instructions

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I've searched but most of the searched threads just add to my confusion. I am ordering some light boxes and LED's.

Here's what I have currently... 1998 XJ and I DO have a trailer wiring setup on it that DOES work. But no trailer brake box or anything like that....

I plan to run either of these two options:

(1) Oval S,T,T Red LED and 2-inch Amber LED Turn signal (and put back-up lights in my bumper) <--- how do I go about this?

-OR-

(2) Oval S,T,T Red LED and 2-inch halogen back up lights <--- how do I go about this?

Basically I just need to know what I need to do to get the jeep wire correctly...

boxes/converters/flashers/etc... what do I need to do.. I just dont want to be stuck w/ messing with this when everything comes in...

Thanks,
Chris

STT's w/ pig tails and grommets <-- 60 LED

http://www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=16498&secid=68&linkon=subsection&linkid=438

2-inch Amber Turns w/ pig tails and grommets <-- 9 LED
http://ledtrailerlights.com/cm/cm_HD20010-M09100-2inch.htm

What else Do I need to do...

Can I just wire this into my trailer wiring harness (dont plan to tow a trailer anymore?) OR what can I buy to do this correctly the first time...

Also any recommendations... Should I just run one STT and then put in a 2" halogen backup light? and anyone know anywhere I can pick up some round 2-inch Amber LED's w/ more than 9LED's?

just to throw another idea out at you...i've yet to see anyone using leds and breadboard (i think that's what it's called). when i was a member of a nissan website a few years back, many creative guys made led tail lights that made the likes look brand new and modern. in a cherokee tail light, since it's square/rectangular, you could probably do it easily and fit multiple straight rows in. if you're interested, i can dig up old threads from there that explain how to do it and wire them up. i think that looks much better than the ones everyone seems to use on here. if you're not interested, no biggy, just figured i'd offer the idea up. goodluck either way.

Chris
I just did all this went through all the headache.
I also have some very bright piranah 7 super bright led 6" oval taqilights new in teh package i was thinking of listing on here.
If you plan on using the LED stop tail and turn it is pain to get it work right
tell you I will PM you my # it will be easier to talk you through it
Curt

Well the way I did mine was to just wire the Stop/Tail up like factory and then add an amber turn.. so the wiring was all the same.. I just did away with my Back up light for the time being...

No problems at all...

Edit: oops it looks like I was late.

Ok, it would be easier for you just to run the Oval LED with LED Ambers, all you would have to buy is an Electronic Flasher to tame the Blinker http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NF&PartNumber=EP27&Description=Flasher+-+Turn+Signal

For Option #2 you really need to go to a trailer shop (not uhaul or any parts store if it says Hoppy or Hopkins run away) and get a Reese or Drawtite Trailer Tailight Converter. The wiring will be straight forward once you get the correct Converter, and you'll still need that flasher for your Blinkers.

I hope that helped if not just ask, here is a pic of how mine is set up.

79101.jpg

Mosephus said:
Edit: oops it looks like I was late.

Ok, it would be easier for you just to run the Oval LED with LED Ambers, all you would have to buy is an Electronic Flasher to tame the Blinker http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NF&PartNumber=EP27&Description=Flasher+-+Turn+Signal

For Option #2 you really need to go to a trailer shop (not uhaul or any parts store if it says Hoppy or Hopkins run away) and get a Reese or Drawtite Trailer Tailight Converter. The wiring will be straight forward once you get the correct Converter, and you'll still need that flasher for your Blinkers.

I hope that helped if not just ask, here is a pic of how mine is set up.

I didnt have to change the flasher w/ my setup? Then again all I did was Wire the Oval Red LED to Stop/Tail and then the round amber LED to turn... no problems at all..

Chris, what lights did you end up getting and from where?

Back