• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles...Curious question

Bouncy

NAXJA Forum User
Why in the WORLD would you spend $300-400 on a D44 XJ axle when you can get 8.25 axles all day long for $75-150.

Both have lockers available.
Both can use the disc brake setup.
Both have gear available
Both are strong
Both have better axle shafts available.

So Why in the HELL would I waste about $250 on a D44??

I am seriously curious. Why the mega rape prices for the D44s??

8.25 stops at 4.56
Believe there are no axle shaft upgrades for the 8.25
Anything else I'm not too sure I just happened to find my D44 in a junkyard for 100 bucks.

Also, the 8.25 is a "C" clip style axle, while the D-44 is not. However, you can get "C" eleminators from places like Summit, Jegs, Strange and Currie, just to name a few. Axle shaft upgrades can be had from Ducthman, Strange, and so on, as they have to be custom any way. As for spline count upgrade, the 29 spline is the biggest you can get that I know of.

MoparManiac said:
8.25 stops at 4.56
Believe there are no axle shaft upgrades for the 8.25
Anything else I'm not too sure I just happened to find my D44 in a junkyard for 100 bucks.
You can get alloy shafts for the 8.25 for about $200/pair. But with the 4.56 limitation on gearing, many folks won't even have big enough tires to justify the cost. "Why in the world" is overly emphatic, but I agree with the general argument that dollar-for-dollar the 8.25 is an excellent upgrade for those running, say, 33s and 4.56s.

8.25 IS C-clip.

And I think some D44s are c-clip also. But others are not.

29 spline is the biggest for 8.25.

It just seems crazy to me when I see my buddy buy a 8.25 for $75 and I got mine for $100.

Then see D44s of basically the same strength going for 300-400 and higher. And I think WTF...that seems like rape to me. But maybe just me.

I can stick with my 8.25 till I go 9".

You cant go wrong with a 9in. But I got mine for 25 dollars with a locker and 4.88 gears. I Would never pay those stupid prices for a dana 44 rear.

Oh, yeah. The 8.25 IS deffinately a "C" clip axle. Want to see the video of what happens when you have one of the shafts snap at the clip, and try to leave the housing at about 130 MPH? Can you say "roll over?" boys and girls? And, before anyone starts griping about required eliminators and such, this was on a maiden run, on a test and tune night. This was the first time for this car to ever run .I am STILL not allowed to run! Stupid track Nazis. I have since upgraded to a Strange Nodular 9" since then, but I still can't run.

Bouncy said:
Why in the WORLD would you spend $300-400 on a D44 XJ axle when you can get 8.25 axles all day long for $75-150.

Both have lockers available.
Both can use the disc brake setup.
Both have gear available
Both are strong
Both have better axle shafts available.

So Why in the HELL would I waste about $250 on a D44??

I am seriously curious. Why the mega rape prices for the D44s??

Easy answer.

More locker availability.

Stronger tubes.

Stronger axles. While it's only 1 spline, 30 spline is still stronger than 29 spline, and the D44 can be upgraded to 33 or 35 spline. These days, if you're starting from scratch to do gears, lockers, and want to get alloy axles, you might as well get the 33 spline stuff.

You call $300-400 mega price? Or are worried about $250? You might be looking into the wrong sport.

Now, I wouldn't recommend someone with a 29 spline 8.25 to upgrade to a D44, but if you have a D35 I'd get a D44 before getting an 8.25.......depending on how you're going to use it. If you know for sure that 33's are as big as you'll go, then the 29 spline 8.25 is a good choice. But, many many folks end up going bigger than they originally thought, and the d44 gives you many more options........for only a couple hundred bucks.

Goatman said:
Easy answer.

More locker availability.

Stronger tubes.

Stronger axles. While it's only 1 spline, 30 spline is still stronger than 29 spline, and the D44 can be upgraded to 33 or 35 spline. These days, if you're starting from scratch to do gears, lockers, and want to get alloy axles, you might as well get the 33 spline stuff.

You call $300-400 mega price? Or are worried about $250? You might be looking into the wrong sport.

Now, I wouldn't recommend someone with a 29 spline 8.25 to upgrade to a D44, but if you have a D35 I'd get a D44 before getting an 8.25.......depending on how you're going to use it. If you know for sure that 33's are as big as you'll go, then the 29 spline 8.25 is a good choice. But, many many folks end up going bigger than they originally thought, and the d44 gives you many more options........for only a couple hundred bucks.

I am not in the wrong sport. I just don't see paying more money than necessary.

Junkyards sell axles of all types front and rear around here for $150 flat price. I was originally looking for a D44 for my XJ. Saw a few in the 125-150 range. Passed on them because I wasn't ready for a swap.

Now when I am ready, I have seen the prices in the 300-400 range. Can't find one in the price range of 6 months ago at 150. So I posted up, found a 8.25 29 spline..Did a lot of reading. Noted the limited locker options. Noted that both could get better axle shafts. Noted that tubes are a bit stronger but not enough to worry about. And noted people running up to 36" tires on both...after that a bigger axle is probably needed for gearing and strength.

So I got my axle for 75 BUCKS and pulled out the lincoln to make the locker. Have my rebuild kit for $100. Rear disc brake setup. And away I go.

It just kills me to see people posting up 400 FIRM!!!!!! when I can get 9" axles for $150 all day long from the junkyard. WTF is so freakin special about a D44 that is for the most part the SAME as a 8.25 when running bigger tires and such. Unless your looking for that 5.13 gearing or something...Its not worth the money...but folks selling think they have a gold mine and don't mind "SCREWING" you (to explain the sexual reference) in the sale.

Anywho...Just my thoughts. I was hoping to hear some magical answer like the axle could make you float on water or something.

Thread dropped...no magic here.

Bouncy said:
WTF is so freakin special about a D44 that is for the most part the SAME as a 8.25 when running bigger tires and such.

It's a better axle and there were not as many built. It's an easy answer.

I'm glad you are happy savings some cash, but others (myself included) still prefer the 44 and would pay the 250.00 more for the housing.

Bouncy said:
I am not in the wrong sport. I just don't see paying more money than necessary.

Junkyards sell axles of all types front and rear around here for $150 flat price. I was originally looking for a D44 for my XJ. Saw a few in the 125-150 range. Passed on them because I wasn't ready for a swap.

Now when I am ready, I have seen the prices in the 300-400 range. Can't find one in the price range of 6 months ago at 150. So I posted up, found a 8.25 29 spline..Did a lot of reading. Noted the limited locker options. Noted that both could get better axle shafts. Noted that tubes are a bit stronger but not enough to worry about. And noted people running up to 36" tires on both...after that a bigger axle is probably needed for gearing and strength.

So I got my axle for 75 BUCKS and pulled out the lincoln to make the locker. Have my rebuild kit for $100. Rear disc brake setup. And away I go.

It just kills me to see people posting up 400 FIRM!!!!!! when I can get 9" axles for $150 all day long from the junkyard. WTF is so freakin special about a D44 that is for the most part the SAME as a 8.25 when running bigger tires and such. Unless your looking for that 5.13 gearing or something...Its not worth the money...but folks selling think they have a gold mine and don't mind "SCREWING" you (to explain the sexual reference) in the sale.

Anywho...Just my thoughts. I was hoping to hear some magical answer like the axle could make you float on water or something.

Thread dropped...no magic here.

So, you're cheap and willing to make do with an inferior part. OK, we accept that and won't criticize you for it. (well, maybe just a little)

But, why put down folks who want more and are willing to pay for it? That, son, really doesn't make sense.

Lets' recap:

Stonger tubes.

Deeper gear choices.

More locker choices.

Stronger stock axles with MUCH stronger axle options.

Non c-clip.

$200-$300 more...........no brainer.

Regardless of the junkyard price, many just aren't willing to run a super low pinion 9".....they don't even consider it an option.

Run what you got and be happy with it, but don't bag on others unless you're ready for it yourself. :wave:

What's funny in all this, is that I am going to run an 8.25 out of a liberty cause it has dics. But here I am going to the junk yard to pull 44's for 100.00, then turn around and sell them to all you people on here, because you just have to have a dana 44 in your cherokee. I will stay with my cheep 8.25 while I make money off all you dana 44 people.

xjjeeper19 said:
What's funny in all this, is that I am going to run an 8.25 out of a liberty cause it has dics. But here I am going to the junk yard to pull 44's for 100.00, then turn around and sell them to all you people on here, because you just have to have a dana 44 in your cherokee. I will stay with my cheep 8.25 while I make money off all you dana 44 people.

:rolleyes:

My question is, why would someone waste their money on either a D44 or an 8 1/4 when they can go 9" or D60 to begin with and end up saving a lot of cash in the long run. Sure the initial expense is high, but if you're serious enough to break an 8.25 or D30, you should (in keeping with that serious stuff) seriously consider something stronger than the D44 or 8.25.

Just me...

If I could find a 9 with the right width, I would run it, same with a 60, but I'm limited right now, so I will stick with the "cheap" 8.25

bigolexj said:
My question is, why would someone waste their money on either a D44 or an 8 1/4 when they can go 9" or D60 to begin with and end up saving a lot of cash in the long run. Sure the initial expense is high, but if you're serious enough to break an 8.25 or D30, you should (in keeping with that serious stuff) seriously consider something stronger than the D44 or 8.25.

Just me...

Are you really asking a question....or making a statement? :)

Mostly I think you guys are just the types to go against the grain, but that doesn't make any kind of an argument, just shows the type of person you are. No big deal.

For many people, it is worth a certain amount of money to have a proven axle that is a bolt in with the correct wheel bolt pattern, no welding or other modifications necessary. Regardless of you're preference, you can't really argue against that providing some additional value for most people. It is a no brainer.

A 9" is nearly impossible to find in the right width and with the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, so the fact that they are a dime a dozen in wrecking yards is meaningless. And, like I said before, many of us just won't accept the low driveline clearance of the 9", which has the lowest pinion height of any rear end made. If you have to get new axles to get 31 splines or 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, then you're not cheaper than a D44 and you still have a lower pinion. Now, get a high clearance 9" housing from Currie, and a high pinion center section and 35 spline axles and you have one very hot rear end......but that is far from junkyard cheap.

A real 35 spline D60 is in another price category if you need the strength. Unless you have 37" tires, the low clearance of the big center section isn't close to being worth the strength.........and, a junkyard D60 still has 30 spline axles just like a D44, really not worth the weight and loss of clearance. So, to get a real D60 with a shaved high clearance center section and 35 spline axles is, again, far from junkyard prices for nearly everyone.

Hmmm, that $300-400 totally bolt in nearly unbreakable (for most who would use it) axle looks better all the time. :D

Back