• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Fogs

klennop

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to replace my factory fogs with aftermarket ones because mine are junk. I know that there are 2 torx bolts that hold them in place. Well I tried removing one of them the other day and that sucker is on there so tight that it actually almost stripped my torx socket along with the torx bolt. The socket just started moving inside the bolt without the bolt moving so I stopped right away because I didn't want to totally strip the thing. So I am wondering what my options are to get this bolt out if I do end up stripping it out. I can't fit a sawsall in there to hack it off without damaging the plastic around it. Could I just drill into it, if so any bit/size suggestions? I didn't know what heating the torx bolt up would do, if it would just strip out since it would be hot so I didn't try it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Or try clamping the bolt with vicegrips but put a cloth around it so you don't strip the threat......that's a tough one or try a rotozip, kind of pricy but you'll use it for many jobs.

Both of those are good suggestions thanks for the advice. I don't know why they even have 2 of these on each light plus with a torx, the fogs can't weigh squat!!

The dremmel crossed my mind because it should be small enough to get in there.

The vice grips might work to but I can't remember off hand if there is enough there to get a grip on it because if I remember correctly the top of it is curved??

Just take the bumper off and work it from the top. You might want to consider buying better lights and mounting them up higher. They might cost a little bit more, but anything hangin below bumper level is just askin to get busted up or tore off.

I ended up just drilling them out. I bought a new torx socket and bent that to shit but now they are all out. So I went through 2 torx sockets, but at least I can take them back to Sears since they are craftsman.

I am going to replace the factory ones with some from wally world so if I do somehow bust them it wouldn't be a big deal.

How do people mount them up higher on the bumper, is there brackets that people use? I have seen people on here with Hella's mounted and always wondered how they mounted them.

FYI, the torx's on my 99 bumper were welded on, It's been a while since i've seen them (bumper is thrown away now) but if I remeber right the bolts were tack'd on with nuts holding the actual fog lights on. Of course I couldn't see that until I took the bumper completely off. Good luck.

I'm in the same situation, I got my broken factory lights off. They were on pretty good, a lot of force till the threads broke free, but I got all of them.

I bought 2 of the little blazer lights from wally world, wondering if I should mount them in the stock location or on top of the bumper.

The roof is always an option

Anyone know where the fuse is on the factory fogs?

Back