• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Pedal dropped/ Now won't crank.

PosiDave

NAXJA Forum User
I was backing out of my driveway and when I got out onto the street i pressed the clutch pedal and it dropped like the cylinder went. I couldnt get it out of reverse so i shut it off and put it into neutral. since this my cherokee won't crank. I have the Slave cylinder sealed assembly kit where everything come in one big sealed unit that u don't bleed or anything about 3 months ago. The clutch didn't seem to be in bad shape after i replaced that. I was planing on fixing the assembly again but it is $150 and wanted to see if anyone else knew why it won't start. when it went last time the cylinder would stop working on occasion this time the truck didnt shut off by itself and just never started again. I turn the key i get lights and nothings else. Anyone ?

By the Way: 96 Sport, 4.0 HO, 228,XXX,

Hi,

did you have to hold the clutch pedal down to start the motor before you had this problem? There should be a switch/ contact, at the top of the pedal that must be connected before the motor will crank, normally by pressing and holding the clutch..............

I also seem to remember that there is a way to defeat that clutch interlock. It comes in handy on the trails when your engine dies and you need to get it off the trail.

tag said:
Hi,

did you have to hold the clutch pedal down to start the motor before you had this problem? There should be a switch/ contact, at the top of the pedal that must be connected before the motor will crank, normally by pressing and holding the clutch..............

X2. I've had this same thing happen on one of our chevy ton trucks at work.

For me what was happening was the spring that provided the resistance for the clutch pedal would come apart from the switch (Chevy called it a neutral safety switch, its not anywhere near the jeep NSS I've worked on, but that was an AW4, so I don't know about jeep manual trannys).

What would cause it was a foot slipping off the clutch pedal, the pedal would fly out and the switch would come out of the firewall, I could usually just piece it back together. Then someone else drove it and when it happened to them they mashed the clutch pedal over and over thinking that might solve the problem. All it did was destroy the switch completely, leaving a dead vehicle in the middle of the road.

So I cut the switch out and bypassed it, ordered a new one for $42 from the stealership. This may or may not help you, in my case there was no real problem with the clutch, just a switch.

Back