• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$300 for XJ dana 44?

hockey10588

NAXJA Forum User
Found an XJ dana 44 for $450 and got him down to $300 if I pull it, is this a good deal? it's complete drum to drum with all the brake lines and e-brake cables, 3.54 open. the only problem is I think the guy knows what gold he has under his cherokee so he wont sell it for $50 like clueless people would. any more tips on gettin him down lower? let me know what you think

also can I run this if my D30 has 3.55 gears for a short while until I regear it?

91 Jeep Project said:
$200 or less would be a good deal. But if its in good shape and you are after one. $300 isn't to much to pay.
here in Cali if you pull it yourself you pay $150 +/- depending on the yard, what they know about axles and so on (during 50% off weekend I have known people to score them for as little as $80). Anyways if they pull it, $300+ is about right.

91 I see you're a local coloradian do you know of any other yards that has jeeps? I've been to Jeeps Unlimited in Erie but there USED stuff is so expensive!

Yeah, you'd think all of their shit was gold plated. There are alot of yards around. Most of the ones with shit pulled will want $500 + for that axle. Very cheap if you find one at a pick n pull. But those are very few and far between. They don't last very long in those places.

91 Jeep Project said:
Yeah, you'd think all of their shit was gold plated. There are alot of yards around. Most of the ones with shit pulled will want $500 + for that axle. Very cheap if you find one at a pick n pull. But those are very few and far between. They don't last very long in those places.
ya I almost got my hands on a wrecked 88 XJ with a dana 44 for $100 but some f$*&%# got there first and offered $125.

I went to a junk yard. I saw a Dana 44 under an '88. I told the guy in the office that it was a Dana 35. I got the thing for $150. I still think I over-paid about $50 but I'm happy with it, it's clean. Try to look around for a while. You'll never get a good deal from a Jeep person. Try calling junk ones in the paper. Some may have a rear end you need and you also get a parts truck. Happy hunting.

I paid $350 for mine and another $75 for the matching front so that the gear ratio would match.:dunno:

The gears would be just fine together. The price is in the ball park. You could always wait for the super hook up price someday, but when would that be?

3.54 in one axle and 3.55 in the other is the way the jeep came from the factory. No worries on that minor a 'mis-match.'

As others have said, $300 for a used XJ 44 with stock gear ratio, open diff and used brakes (that you have to pull yourself) isn't a "great" deal, but not a rip-off either. If you want it bad enough, it's a reasonably small price to pay.

I think I have right at $150 into overhauling the brakes (shoes, springs, adjusters, cylinders, longer YJ rubber hose, and longer YJ pass side handbrake cables) A pair of new drums would have added $100 or therabouts.

I am amassing parts to move into phase 2 of upgrading mine. I forecast a budget of $550 for gears, bearings/seals & lunchbox locker. (+ $300 if I go with alloy shafts) This does not include labor for the gear set-up.

If your going to spend that much I would go for an 8.8 and get the disc brakes. Rear discs are still one of the best mods I have ever done to my XJ. Espeicially after I watched a friend slide down a hill backwards dragging his front tires when his DS broke. Rears were not adjusted properly and wouldn't hold it.

i bought a XJ dana 44 on ebay that was beautiful for $250, then the next week went to a boneyard and there happened to be a 88 xj with a dana 44, we pulled it ourselves and it cost us $76. you can get them cheap if the pull-a-part doesnt know what it is, they just called it an axle assembly + a few bucks for the drums.

-Tim

Back