• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Oil Leak

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well did a bit of driving last night (out in the cold, not sure if this will protain to the prob) and this morning i went outside and aside from my normal oil leak there was a new spot.....:( so i did the dip and sniff and it looked like oil and water...and it smelt like oil, so i lifted the hood and it looks like its coming from the bottom of th air box>>??? cuz i can see where it leaked on th side of the fenderwell in the engine bay. Now i have noticed that there has been oil that has gotten on my oil filter but its never leaked...what could this be???

If it is just oil (not coolant and oil?) it is not strange, but very common for the jeep. You need ti clean or replace the small CCV tubing from the valve cover (back side) to the intake manifold, and tighten and seal any vacuum leaks including all the seals on the valve cover. They must be AIR tight!

If not air moves backwards with oil through the front valve cover vent hose into the air filter housing. Seach here for "Crankcase Ventilation leak filter" for lots of discussion on this problem.

Yeah i just replaced my air filter about a month and a half ago and i checked it today and the back of it is black and had a little bit of oil and water mixture on the top. an the stuff on the side of the engine bay looked the same as what was in the air box. Question??... Could i drill small holes in the back of my air box to allow more airflow?? would that work?? bad idea?

Cherokeekid88 said:
Yeah i just replaced my air filter about a month and a half ago and i checked it today and the back of it is black and had a little bit of oil and water mixture on the top. an the stuff on the side of the engine bay looked the same as what was in the air box. Question??... Could i drill small holes in the back of my air box to allow more airflow?? would that work?? bad idea?

Bad idea. Does not work. The fix is not that hard and the parts are not that expensive. Better to do it right. Also doing it right can solve some idle speed problems as well.

Went outside this morning and no leaking.... opened the hood to check the oil level and seemed fine. and the spots on the engine bay were gone and checked the air filter and is still nice and white except for the black spot towards the end. I know that not letting your jeep run in the cold long enough can cause the oil and water mixture in the air box.

i've been told if you enlarge the 2.6mm orofice on the valve cover should solve problems, I made a catch can with baffles and steel wool for filtering media

Harlee&Tahoe said:
i've been told if you enlarge the 2.6mm orofice on the valve cover should solve problems, I made a catch can with baffles and steel wool for filtering media
That would make sense if you have a lot of blowby to remove, but I experimented with that recently on my 87 Renix and found two problems. One is it disturbes the idle speed (increases it, acts like a vacuum leak) and second, in my case I think it started sucking up huge amounts of oil into the intake manifold at 3.0 mm.

Ecomike said:
That would make sense if you have a lot of blowby to remove, but I experimented with that recently on my 87 Renix and found two problems. One is it disturbes the idle speed (increases it, acts like a vacuum leak) and second, in my case I think it started sucking up huge amounts of oil into the intake manifold at 3.0 mm.

That's what I was afraid of happening, that is why I made a catch can instead 10k miles and clean air filter
:cheers:

Back