• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31" tires on a stock XJ if the fenders are cut enough?

jiveturkey692000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ that is pretty rusty and has 216,000 miles on it. I have a set of 31" 10.50 BFG AT's and was wondering if its possible to run them on a stock XJ if I cut the crap out of the fenders and will it steer at all:dunno: . I want to take it down to Rausch Creek here in PA in the spring and if I could get those tires on there that would be great. I searched around for a while and it doesn't look good, but maybe since I am not afraid to cut, it might work:confused:

it will work...i was running 31" TSL's for a while on a stock xj, before recently

just take the flares off and hack the fawk out of it

the control arms will rub at full lock unless you have aftermarket rims

if you dont like it just get a BB

Sam

bb = budget boost methinks
cheap lift... blocks, add a leaf, coil spacer
cheap and relatively easy ways of getting a bit of lift.

Yeah, a buddy of mine ran 31s on his stock height 94 trimmed, fit fine, rubbed on LCAs at steering lock like everyone else says.

Trimmed and lifted 2-3" you could fit and flex 32s or 33s.

Wow, this is great, lol. I like the link for the lift, thanks. Looks like its doable then. I will be running the stock rims, I don't want to dump to much money it it. This will be its last run probably, lol, or at least it won't be on the road again anyway.:D

BB = Budget Boost - usually blocks and spacers.

30" and 31" tyres will fit under a stocker XJ, but you lose articulation. I do prefer 30's on my "road warrior" (they wear better and grip better, methinks,) but I wouldn't want to take it too far afield. However, it works neatly on Northern AZ fire trails.

31" tyres are getting into the "pushing your luck" range - I had them on my 88 (no lift) for a couple of years and did some cross-country driving, and some very light trails, but I wasn't about to push it.

The control arms may not rub, but the tyres sure as Hell will! It's a little disconcerting, until you find the limits (stock wheels, as well.) However, the 31's will steer well, and the 30's are only an inch or so taller than stock - and not a big problem at all.

If you run the proper bump stop heights, then you will have no problems.

A lot of people forget about extending their bump stops, and it can be a real parts-saver during extreme flex.

You might check into some adjustable bump stops for the rear. I just got a set from DPG so that I can run 32's on a 2" BB with no worries.
Front stops aren't terribly expensive, or you can go the el cheapo route and use hockey pucks...

Hey Im a noob XJ owner and I need so decent advice about what exactly is best to run 31" tires with no lift.... And is it possible to run them on stock rims?

Hey Im a noob XJ owner and I need so decent advice about what exactly is best to run 31" tires with no lift.... And is it possible to run them on stock rims?
i ran my 31"s on stock suspension, i have the rear fenders Trimmed and folded. fronts are cut at stock flare line. The rear rubbed very bad on any kind of Bump. never had a problem with the front

i cleared 34x9.50 swampers TSL on my jeep, with no lift, lock to lock no rub, only place they rub is on top of the fender which i can't do anything about, anything is possible :)

Why do you need 31's? 30s should fit and if anything jsut get some 235/75s

SO how much is enough when it comes to trimming the fenders down to run 31's underneath? Or should I just stick with 30's?

Last edited:
i have a friend who have 30's on stock XJ and it does look good actually, not even looks small.

SO how much is enough when it comes to trimming the fenders down to run 31's underneath? Or should I just stick with 30's?

31's will fit just use the top of the front flare as a guide for your cutting and in the rear cut just below the spot welds then cut reliefs in it up and use a hammer to fold over the spot welds. dont forget in the front to remove the plastic inner liner and cut and fold the seam inside or it will cut your tire! if you can find a set of 4 inch backspace wheels it shouldnt rub on lock to lock either!
-chad

I was wondering what all would have to be done to manage a set of 33" tires on an almost stock Jeep... at least temp. while I am saving up for the lift I want... But I think I will just get the tires, and then just wait around a bit to put them on...

i have a 2.5" lift on my jeep and 31s and rub on my fenders all the time and the fenders are cut a ton so if you wheel it esp with that many miles on it your going to need bumpstops

Back