• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch done?

93_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I think i burnt up my clutch but i could be wrong...

I can start in 5th gear from a deadstop, give it gas and it revvs up as much as i want it to depending on how much gas i give it, and the vehicle slowly goes foward....

also,

in 4th gear at 30 mph and roughly 1200 rpms, i can give it gas and instead of a slow acceleration, it feels like the clutch is slightly depressed and its slipping.

When i got out, i smelt a burning smell, similar to rubber (maybe)

I just need a new clutch or no?

well starting your truck in 5 gear from a dead stop probably finished off your clutch, theres a reason for having 5 gears its hard not to be sarcastic in my reply but it sounds like you have alot to learn about driving a vehicle with a clutch like you never never start out in 5,4,3.maybe second if your pointing downhill but again theres a reason for having first gear. maximum clutch life is derived by getting the clutch fully engauged as quickly as possible with as little enging revving as possible and to answer your question YES you need a clutch and pressure plate good luck and i hope this has been enlightining oh... by the way smack yourself in the head for starting out in 5 gear

kennzz05 said:
well starting your truck in 5 gear from a dead stop probably finished off your clutch, theres a reason for having 5 gears its hard not to be sarcastic in my reply but it sounds like you have alot to learn about driving a vehicle with a clutch like you never never start out in 5,4,3.maybe second if your pointing downhill but again theres a reason for having first gear. maximum clutch life is derived by getting the clutch fully engauged as quickly as possible with as little enging revving as possible and to answer your question YES you need a clutch and pressure plate good luck and i hope this has been enlightining oh... by the way smack yourself in the head for starting out in 5 gear

hey ass, ive been driving a stick since i learned how to drive cars., i know how to drive a manual transmission, and no i never start out in 5th gear. This was the only time i tried it to see what was up, i knew it was the clutch. it was on its way out, and i was just seeing why the engine was revving up the way it was being in the wrong gear and all. I was going up a hill in 4th, and I gave it gas and the engine continued to revv up instead of giving power to the wheels. Then i knew something was up so i tried the 5th gear from a dead stop to verify what i thought was already happening.

I have a new clutch and pressure plate and will swap it in this weekend.

May want to have your flywheel machined as it most likely has hotspots from driving around in fifth,smokin off your clutch,new pilot bearing too

Back