• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with distributor indexing

Atrain

NAXJA Forum User
Posted this in OEM as well, I have a 2001 XJ and am installing a new 4.6 stroker. The shop removed the distributor (less) gear and threw it in a box. I have no clue how to index it correctly. Can someone explain how to install the distributorless gear?

Thanks!

you have to rotate the motor to top dead center. Pull #1 spark plug, I use a 3/8 extesion into the plug hole, put a wrench on the crank and rotate untill the extesion go up all the way right befor it starts to go back down, insert the distrinuter, the rotor should be pionted to #1 marked on the distributor cap if not isert a long flat head to rotate the oil pump drive shaft untell its where it needs to be so your roter pionts to #1. Hope this helps. I had a hell of a time getting mine lined up, mostly because I was unaware the oil pumps drive shaft could be rotated indipendently of the cam. It's pretty easy if you know what you are doing. I hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. My 2001 distributor does not have a cap and rotor...Just a small plastic cap with an electrical fitting...that is what is confusing me.

It appears that this is actually called a camshaft position sensor. Apparently if you don't mark it before you remove it, it has to be reset with a scan tool. Can someone please confirm this is correct?

Thanks!

Bump for help...

bump.jpg

Atrain said:
It appears that this is actually called a camshaft position sensor. Apparently if you don't mark it before you remove it, it has to be reset with a scan tool. Can someone please confirm this is correct?

Thanks!

That's what my 01 FSm says.

Just FYI, all you have to do is line up the hole in the housing with the hole inside the CPS (I used a small nail to hold it in place), put the motor to TDC, and drop it in.

Back