• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Salvage yard auto dimming mirror with temprature and compass?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Says it all. My wife just got an 02 Honda odyssey van, she wants the fancy mirror with compass and temp in it, so I started looking around, looks like about $200. Not so bad, but the jeep in me started thinking that I bet someone on here knows what vehicle I can snag a factory one of that will work stand alone.... heck if I could get 2 cheap I would even throw one in XJ for giggles, but certainly not needed.

thanks gents.

Mirror-Rear View
Chevy Suburban 1500 BLK COMP TEMP AUTO DIM A F0233 $50 Veldman's Auto Parts USA-IN(South-Bend) E-mail 1-800-888-3821 184
Mirror-Rear View
Chevy Suburban 1500 BLK W COMP TEMP AUTO DIM A F0541 $50 Veldman's Auto Parts USA-IN(South-Bend) E-mail 1-800-888-3821 184
Mirror-Rear View
Chevy Suburban 1500 HAS COMPASS AND TEMP 16210 $Call Cars and Parts USA-IN(Columbus) E-mail 1-800-225-9025

i would check the pick n pull if you have one near by, if there is any late model jimmy/bravada/blazer (old school s10 ones 1999-2001/2) i think they had them, as well as tahoe/suburban. Probably the newer envoy traiblazer ... the big ones with the 4.2 inline 6. anyways i got those for ya simple car parts search http://car-part.com/

i have seen people swap the Gm units into other makes. looks like you can get them for $50 and cheaper pretty easy. Go to car parts and put in some different search parameters

Thanks! any ideas how the temp sens connects with mirror? I assume I need some of the wiring harness, but how much?... do I need the entire wire between sensor and mirror, or just a few inches both ends and splice some wire in between?

Also, does anyone have a wire schematic to any of these chevy mirror's?

Thanks guys!

mid 90's and up mazda's had stand alone auto dimming ,
some with compass and temp , all you would need is the harness ( easy because it runs along the headliner to the drivers side " a " pillar down to the fuse box ),
temp sensor and connector which is usually attached to the front plastic fascia . ( sensor has no polarity , so run some new wires )

easy to retrofit into about anything.

any one else have any info on these mirrors???
like a how to on the wiring?

Most of the mirrors are made by Donnelly or Gentex and every one I have ever seen has the same 7 pin plug in on the back. Some only use 2 wires(power/ground) some use more for the temp, compass, map lights... it just depends on what the mirror has.

The harnesses can be pulled from the car you steal it out of or ordered for about 20 bucks. Here is a harness on ebay that should work with just about any mirror you would find in a junkyard
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-WIRE-WIRING-HARNESS-Auto-Dim-Mirror-MAP-LIGHTS-TEMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33699QQihZ007QQitemZ170122143054QQtcZphoto
and here is the temp probe to work with any of the ones that tell outside temp
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170126374217&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCKCK_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=170119324021&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Those are the first harnesses that came up in a quick search, I know they can be found cheaper but this should give you an idea.

I added a autodimming/compass/temp/maplight mirror to my wife's honda and the installation was simple. Just had to pull some panels to run/hide the wires.

I've got a autodimmer I might put in my XJ, but I'll probably go ahead and pull one with all the options from the PnP.

WOW, thanks for the good info. I was looking at getting the stock XJ/ZJ overhead system but they run for over $200, these are way better. I'll just pull a nice compass mirrow w/temp.
THANKS!

selarep said:
WOW, thanks for the good info. I was looking at getting the stock XJ/ZJ overhead system but they run for over $200, these are way better. I'll just pull a nice compass mirrow w/temp.
THANKS!

Anytime. When I get around to doing one in my XJ, I plan on doing a full write up. The installation should be simple, but a lot of people are afraid to tackle stuff like that.

Back