• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TF909 to THM700-R4 swap?

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
OK all you tech/transmission gurus.

Will a THM700-R4 swap into a 3.4L V6 Chevy engine to replace my locked up TF909?

What Transfer Case will fit? NP207, 231?

I'm asking this as my 909 locked up in drive and I know the Blazer S10 uses the 4 speed 700-R4 (later named the 4L60) attached to the 2.8L V6. The 2.8 and 3.4 have the same bolt pattern and use the same transmission. But, what mods will have to be made to the XJ.

I replaced the crappy 2.8 with the more powerful 3.4 several years ago and am thinking the extra power probably fried the transmission.

ANY info would be helpfull as all the snow is melting here and I wanna play in the muck, but, I also need the Jeep for work.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My guess is you would be better off getting a trans and tcase from the same vehicle. I'm pretty sure the tcase is a 27 spline 231. It shouldn't be a problem as gm made millions of s10s s15s blazers and jimmys with the 2.8,700r4,231 combo. You'll probably be in for some fabwork for your linkages and cables and crossmembers. and you might need to "clearance" the trans tunnel for the bigger 700. Oh and you probably need a 3.4 flexplate too. Just out of curiousity what carb do you have?

It's a GM Performance Parts 3.4L V6. It has an Edelbrock intake and Weber 38 DGES Carb. I also installed Edlebrock headers and a 2.5" exhaust. Hence why I think the extra torque fried the transmission.

I currently bought a high lift cam, roller lifters and adjustable timing chain. Hopefully I can get the top end tweaked and running great before the spring thaw (which is happening now).

After posting this question, I called a few transmission places and they said Chevy recently came out with an upgrade/shift kit for the TH904/909 that will give it a better shift, has heavier clutch plates and steel internal parts instead of aluminum. They also said the 700R4 is not any stronger than the 909.

Maybe I'll just re-build mine stronger and skip all the modification crap. (cue $6 million dolar man music.)

Last edited:
Back