• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first Jeep

Crush

NAXJA Forum User
I had just bought me a 1989 Jeep XJ Wagoneer.When I test drove it I just felt like it would be a fun vehicle so I bought it for $750.00.The body has no rust and interior is in great shape.There is only 2 major things I see that need immediate attention, and that is my brake lights wont go off.Im sure it is just a brake switch(I hope).The other problem is the rear leaf springs and shock are totally shot.Im looking everywhere and cant find replacement leaf springs anywhere.Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to purchase these.I much appreciate it.

i have rear leaf springs for a 2001 XJ for sale, not sure if they would fit a Wagoneer, but send me a PM if ur interested

sounds like you got a great find there!!

PICS!!!

Crush said:
The other problem is the rear leaf springs and shock are totally shot.Im looking everywhere and cant find replacement leaf springs anywhere.Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to purchase these.I much appreciate it.

If you're just looking for OEM replacements and not considering a lift, Quadratec's XJ suspension catalogue should cover what you need. I'd recommend going with the heavy-duty replacements if you plan on towing or carrying much in the way of cargo; XJ rear springs were notorious for being under-specced from the factory.

Thanks for the help guys.I might just let a mechanic do the rear suspension that way I can place the blame on them if something goes wrong:)Can anyone take a wild guess on how much a mechanic would charge me to replace the rear suspension?

Crush said:
Thanks for the help guys.I might just let a mechanic do the rear suspension that way I can place the blame on them if something goes wrong:)Can anyone take a wild guess on how much a mechanic would charge me to replace the rear suspension?

The rear's pretty easy - get the rear up in the air with the axle supported, unbolt the shocks at the axle and remove the U-bolts, let the axle drop, then unbolt the leafs at the spring hangers and shackle. Replace the leafs, and, in the immortal words of the Haynes manual, installation is the reverse of removal. I'd be wary of a mechanic that charged more than, say, $100 to do this, but that's based on prices around here so YMMV.

Two things I'd recommend taking care of at the same time based on your description of how badly worn-out the springs are: replace the shocks and the spring bushings. Spring bushings will pretty much require a press to get in and out, but your mechanic should be able to do this - and the shocks are likely shot as well if the springs are as gone as you say they are.

Back