• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clearing 35" tires?

Andy73

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching but could not find any info except cutting fenders....which is not what I'm looking for.

I am doing a homebrew longarm on my 2 door. Right now I have the front axle disconnected from everything to see what I need to cut for clearance. I do not have a 35 to try but I have fabricated a little tool that bolts on the rotor to allow me to check clearance for tire height, width and rim backspace.

It seems to me that a 35" tire will have some serious clearance issues when trying to turn full lock when the axle is compressed. It looks like the tire will hit the frame (I know there is no frame, but the piece just forward of the firewall that looks similar to a frame rail) at the back of the fenderwell. Also possibly in the front. I know I need to extend the bump stops, but will I have to extend them so far that a 33" tire would be a better choice? Fenders are not a problem, Ill cut those out of the way.

And... The overall....
4 1/2" lift - I want it stable
Plan on crawling around in So Cal mudhills and rocks.
Upgrading axles enough to suit my driving style (light right foot)
Some sort of lockers front and back (haven't nailed down yet)
Probably 75% trail - 25% on the road.

What did you do to resolve clearance issues? Any suggestions? I would like to run a 35, but if the benefits don't outweigh the problems, I'll go to a 33. I'm looking for any advice, pictures, whatever you have. I don't want to reinvent the wheel!

Thanks.

I run a 4.5in lift with 33x12.5 MTR on 15x8 rims with 4" backspacing and lots of fender trimming front and rear. They do rub at full lock on the control arms but my 31's did that as well. I dont think you can clear 35's unless you have 6in of lift (i know someone will prove me wrong) or have so long bumpstops that you virtually only have a few inches of uptravel.

On a side note with a 75% trail vehicle I would hope the axles are going to be upgraded for 35's if you go that route. Some say stock axles are fine if you have a light foot and stay at 33's.

Hope the info helps a fellow jeeper

Do some of this

P1010480.jpg

and this

P1010479.jpg

and move the axle forewards about 3-4".*

It's amazing how much better everything fits.

*Some steps left out to save time. Don't run the engine with a shirt stuffed in the intake - it causes problems. Massive unibody mods not legal pretty much everywhere.

There was a guy I think his name was Cheap xj and he was running 36's on 3" lift and major trimming and inner fender mods. It can be done depending on how much you want to do. I have 33's on 6" and no bump stops and only rub at full compression but not very much. I cut and used a BFH to modify the places it rubbed.

Thanks for the quick replies! Helpful info. DirtyMJ, I think for my project thats a little excessive....Maybe the next one. But I would like to see how that turns out! And, axles are a concern. I'm planning on an 8.8 rear and upgraded shafts in the front for now.

Back