• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carpetless? Undercoated floors? Huge mats? enamel & sand?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I just cant decide.

With last nights 10+ inches the carpet in my XJ is soaked :(

I was either gonna pull the carpet and lay down some enamel with sand, buy a $50 set of front and back rubber mats, or use some non-petrol based undercoat spray with sand.

What do you guys think of the three options?

Pics?

Thanks

go with hercuiliner

You can always pull the carpet and punch some drain holes in the floor for now. Before I got around to fixing mine, it would leak from the firewall around the power brake booster. As a quick fix before I could repair it correctly, I made a little gutter out of aluminum flashing to direct the water away from its entry point.

If yours really gets soaked all over the front floor when it rains/snows, I'm thinking you may have rot in the cowl. Have you felt around under the dash to check?

Where exactly is your carpeting getting soaked? If the leaks are not repaired, its just going to get worse with time.

Right where your feet sit in front of the drivers seat.

Im thinking theres a seal problem in the door. Theres ZERO rot around the cowl. IDK :(

I may punch some holes if I cant figure out whats going on.

And no, its not the heater core lol.

I had water coming in and soaking the carpet under my feet (driver's side only) in the rain. Had the (new) windshield re-sealed and looked at a few other places before I finally realized it was coming in with the power wire through the hole I drilled in the firewall. Plugged the hole, now no more troubles.

lol Ill check out my FW when I get home. Does everyone else feel a huge draft around their door handles? Could watter be comeing through my door panels onto the floor?

I've noticed air coming in around my door handles several times while riding down the highway. Huge draft? I wouldn't say so, but it's definitely noticeable. But it does seem unlikely to me that that would be the source of your leak.

It gets hot without carpet at least in my TJ I can't touch my bare hand to the floor near the middle. Not sure if the Xj's have the same issues. I don't plan to take the carpet out of the XJ.

Use bedliner. As for the heat coming thru the floor use a heat shield insulating material or the "Air-Bake" cookie sheet method. You can always throw in some mats and that way you can remove them if there are anymore water probs.

you could also use undercoating or ruberized spray inbetween coats of bedliner

I helped my brother put down the Herculiner in his Jeep Wrangler. Its nice, gray, stiff but still flexible, all the mud washes right up.

Undercoating, you never know what your going to get, they are so different. Even Rubberized Undercoating vary from Goopy Tar Like to a fine thin rubber like coat that almost looks like flat paint, from brand to brand.

I've just got done doing 2 layers of undercoating on my XJ (finished welding up Rust Holes). The 3M Professional Grade Rubberized UnderCoating was perhaps the best and the only I would consider using inside a vehicle. Its at least $8 a can, but it does go on thin and smooth, like paint, its flat black and has a rubber dry feel to the surface.

ya think rhino would have melting problems from the heat?? I used mortons DIY and it melted , went to line-X and never had a problen, never even burned my bare feet after that. I know rhino exotherms during curing but after the fact.........???

I run Durabak in mine, yes the floor gets hot (not enough to melt)but just put some heavy duty floor mats in and you'll be fine, also have some drain plugs in each floorboard for easy draining.

yeah, you only accept a hole in your wallet, no harm there....

yea i was planning on taking my carpets out in the front and line them with something. i was thinking the walmart brand of bedliner... im getting the neoprene seat covers and taking my doors off soon. i have those big fat rubber mats from walmart too and those are amazing they fit the xj perfect and they were only like 10 for a pair. im worried about noise and getting to hott or cold tho. where did yall drill drain holes at? im kinda worried about that one....

Back