• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's on a 2" BB

xjmania

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm sure this will bother people. My 31x10.50 BFG AT's are getting bald. I dont have any flares or plastic crap on my 98. About the only action my jeep sees is extremely muddy, flat fields and i need the bigger tires. Dirt roads etc. also. I ran the 31x10.50's for a while without any lift and they barely rubbed. With the 2" BB would the 33's be ok?

if you dont have flares (im assuming you trimmed) the 2" BB should clear the HEIGHT of the 33" tire, again IF you trimmed and trimmed well. what i would be worried about would be the width of the tire (most likely 12.5") if you have any more than ~4.5" of backspacing you're gonna end up rubbing the steering components up front. now its not a sure thing...im no expert, but with 4.5" on my 84 (with stock fender placement, and stock ~5.5" backspaced rims) its not the fenders getting rubbed that im worried about, its the steering components....and 3 pt. turning out of every parking space (until i can afford to put wheel spacers on) is a bitch, trust me. might wanna get more opinions on it though. Ed

what he said is correct. Your stock wheels will not take kindly to a 33x12.5, but, BFG makes an MT that's a 33x9.5, and interco makes a 33x10.5 swamper.
You could do tall and skinny, but tall and wide will not work unless you get new wheels.
Trim and bumpstop it and you'll be fine.

i run 32s, hommade 1.75 spacer in the front, 2'' chevy shackle in the rear, on rockcrawler wheels with 3.75 inches of backspacing. i had to bumpstop a bit and trim a lot. im sure you could do it with 33s.

xjmania said:
Where did you guys find bigger bumpstops?

you could search online (on the various jeep/xj websites...google is your friend)

or you could go the home-made route...search "hockey pucks," or something to the effect of "homebrewed/made bump stops." some people stack and join hockey pucks together to make bumpstops. i havent dont this to my rig, nor have i seen it in person, and therefore cant speak of its durability/safety/etc. but search around you'll find what you're looking for.

Hope that helps, Ed

I've got hockey pucks in my coil buckets, they're just fine.
I'd seriously consider tall and skinny though, so you can keep the stock wheels.
Get a spare set of stock rims, and put some 34x9.5 swampers on them, that way you can have the best of both worlds. Not much compares to a swamper in the mud.

I like mine quite a bit.
100_3039.jpg

that's 34's on 3".
I do have the luxury of a much larger rear wheel well opening, but you could manage I think with a little bumpstop.

I'll 2nd the hockey pucks. I glued mine just for fact that I put them in after putting lift in... used gorilla glue, they're holding up pretty strong. Next time I hit the suspension I'll most likely drill and bolt it.... maybe....

32" Maxxis Bighorns (their website says that they are a true 32", but my tape begs to differ... more like 31.5")
Trimmed front fenders, working on the rear.
Front pucks, rear DPG adjustable bumpstop plates.
Sorry for the bad photo... camera phone sux swamp water...

XJon32s1.jpg

Spidey said:
32" Maxxis Bighorns (their website says that they are a true 32", but my tape begs to differ... more like 31.5")
Trimmed front fenders, working on the rear.
Front pucks, rear DPG adjustable bumpstop plates.
Sorry for the bad photo... camera phone sux swamp water...

XJon32s1.jpg

What lift are you running? 2" BB?

i know 33" and 2.5" has been done just get the proper backspacing like everyone says... find a set of old waggy rims and that should do it... not a bad loking rim and i think they have a back spacing less than 4.5"

Im running 33's on about 2.5 - 3 inches of lift...We arnt 100% on how high its lifted as its a home made lift. but with lots of trimming they can fit...I plan on only going to 4" of lift and putting on 35's with even more trimming.

Back