• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another stroker question, how long to finish project?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
after about 14 pages of stroker threads one question didn't really get answered, how long does it take?
to save $$ I'm looking at pulling my engine and rebuilding it with the usual recipe
( http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html )

How long are we looking here? It's not my daily driver but I need it back by winter time.

I'm waiting for my membership at the strokers group to get approved, so I haven't checked there, but is there a good step by step howto for building a stroker for an engine building novice?

Its no different that building a regular 4.0. How long it takes? Depends on how long your machine shop takes, how long you take to assemble it, and how long it takes you to put it in. Way to many variables there to get an answer lol. Mine took one week working on it an hour or a so each evening then a day to put it in and fire it up. Took the machine shop a few weeks though.

BlueCuda said:
Its no different that building a regular 4.0. How long it takes? Depends on how long your machine shop takes, how long you take to assemble it, and how long it takes you to put it in. Way to many variables there to get an answer lol. Mine took one week working on it an hour or a so each evening then a day to put it in and fire it up. Took the machine shop a few weeks though.

I took five months to get mine finished but that was mainly 'cause I had to wait a while for the crank and cam to arrive from the US. I wasn't in any big hurry so I spread the cost over that period and gradually cherry-picked the parts that I wanted. Philip_g has already posted the link to my stroker build-up.
Two years and 28k miles later, my stroker's going stronger than ever (knock on wood).

$$$$$$$$$ and time is what'll determine your build time.

Mine was in the planning/research stages for a full year...

It's been a work in progress for another 3+ years....

I only need valves, locks, retainers, springs, exhaust header, injectors, steering pump bracket, and an Eaton M90 to finish it...

:D

The machine shop really took their time in getting my parts since I wasnt in a huge hurry. I droped the parts off almost a month in advance of when I needed them and said I need it done by Thanksgiving weekend and they came through. It took my dad and I about a day and a half to assymble the motor then half a day to get all the engine brackets and accesorys installed and then another day to get the motor installed and running. So I think I had 3 days total invested as I did this over Thanksgiving weekend 2 years ago. Right at the beginning of the summer I helped install a long block stroker in a TJ and it took a good part of the weekend to get it in and running since all the needed parts where already on hand. It all comes down to how much money you have, how much planning you do, and also how handy you are.

AARON

Never NEVER NEVER tell a machine shop "no hurry" or they will do exactly that :D same with body shops.

BlueCuda said:
Never NEVER NEVER tell a machine shop "no hurry" or they will do exactly that :D same with body shops.
That "Can" be a true statement. Depending on the machine shop and the type of work they do. If you tell them when you need it they should deliver. Most shops like mine, if you have to make it to lets say a race by a scheduled date, we will do everything in our power to get the job done on time. ;)

philip_g said:
LoL

thanks. Any word on a walkthrough, I've built motors before but they were rotaries :D

Use lots of assymbly lube on anything and everything inside the motor. Read and read again the FSM. Always use a good torque wrench to tighten everything down.

AARON

Back