• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 60k service

TrentO

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my xj is starting to get up there. :D I'm going to do a routine 60k service this weekend. Any recommendations for a good spark plug for this truck? Also,, I want to change my tranny fluid and filter. Anyone know of a good quality filter to go with or do I just head over to NAPA or AUTOZONE and grab there style. I want to take care of this truck but I also want to have some heavy duty stuff.. Will take any suggestions..Thanks :thumbup:

I'm running Champion plugs in mine....been in there for about 23K with zero issues, and i'm probably going to be changing them again in about 7K when I hit the 100K mark.

As far as the filter goes, go to Napa and get the filter kit....comes with everything you need to get the job done.

your autozone filter/gasket will be just fine

you can get your champion spark plugs there as well

drain/fill your t-case and front and rear diffs as well too

lube everything up

Dave4.0 said:
Isn't the trans filter just a piece of metal? Wouldn't just cleaning it up be just as good as replacing it?

Tranny filter kit cost me I think somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 from Napa...i'd rather go ahead and put a new one in than clean the old one.....call it peace of mind...

Good advise doing the t-case while you're under there and buying ATF. Forgot that I took care of mine when I did the tranny a couple of months ago.

thanks all, but champions? I thought they had bad reviews for this motor. But if you all say so then that works for me. Yeah I'm going with replacing the filter based on the "peace of mind" factor

TrentO said:
thanks all, but champions? I thought they had bad reviews for this motor.

I would say to avoid the Champion Truck Plugs; my 2000 ran like crap with them in there. Went back to single-core Bosch platinums and have been happy for the past 30,000-odd miles or so.

To clarify the above comment re: ATF: the transfer case takes regular ATF (no additives), while the transmission wants Dexron III. I would recommend getting one of the screw-on hand pumps to get the ATF into the transfer case; there's not a lot of room under there, so the pump will make your life a lot easier.

Search on 'Sea Foam' to get some ideas of how best to clean the intake and throttle body. Chances are yours has never been done, and you'll be surprised at the difference it'll make.

Never read that anyone had problems with Champs. Most prefer the champs. Had Bosch Plats in my 92 when I bought it, no ceramic material left! Two of my three run Champs very well.

sjx40250 said:
Never read that anyone had problems with Champs. Most prefer the champs.

Regular Champions may be perfectly fine - but the truck plugs just didn't do it. The best way I can describe it is that it made the Jeep feel like it was lugging under load.

Only "bad" things I heard about plugs were Bosch's and how they short out and such......

RC12LYC is the "stock" plug for the Jeep, which is a Champion Copper plug.....They are like $1.77 each. They are the cheapest plugs too.

AutoZone and Advance Auto call them "412".

casm said:
Regular Champions may be perfectly fine...

Regular Champion Copper plugs for me with no issues. I've always heard bad on the Champion Truck plugs in the 4.0 too....

Back