• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

302 injectors on a Renix

woodywagon

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of upgrading to orange top ford 302 injectors on my 87 Renix,
do I need jeep or ford o-rings? I seached, but no one said jeep or ford O-rings.

what can expect by upgrading to these injectors on a stock 97 4.0 with a intake, hi-flowcat, and a flowmaster super 40 2 1/2" catback?

If it is a stock 87 your just wasting money and time. They will make your engine run very rich. I have them in my stroker and it is still a little on the rich side if i put my air sensor on the stock settings.

On the 97 it already has the larger injectors you will not notice any changes.

Hey Woody

The ford 19# injectors work REALLY well in my 88 4.0L. They have a four nozzle spray instend of the large one in the stock injector. I think that you will be on overkill by useing the 302 ones. Get the o ring kit from the dealer and you will get an extra O ring and don't forget about the disconnects for the fuel lines. If you remove them you WILL need to replace them.

Happy jeepin'

Lee

Only In A Jeep XJ said:
If it is a stock 87 your just wasting money and time. They will make your engine run very rich. I have them in my stroker and it is still a little on the rich side if i put my air sensor on the stock settings.

On the 97 it already has the larger injectors you will not notice any changes.
Why would it run rich?? Doesn't the O2 sensor determine fuel air mixture?
Just curious because I also have thought about installing these as they can be found for cheap

i very happy with the ford 19# injectors in my 89 xj.

FWIW, the injector body or o-rings on an 88 will most likely start to leak soon if not already.

Pigpen said:
Hey Woody

The ford 19# injectors work REALLY well in my 88 4.0L. They have a four nozzle spray instend of the large one in the stock injector. I think that you will be on overkill by useing the 302 ones. Get the o ring kit from the dealer and you will get an extra O ring and don't forget about the disconnects for the fuel lines. If you remove them you WILL need to replace them.

Happy jeepin'

Lee

OK, help me out here.

302? 5.0.......are they not the same eng.?

how do ya now whether or not your getting the 4 hole spray pattern and if they are the 19# or the bigger ones.

I now that the stock renix are the same 19# injector....but with a less efficient single,cone, stray pattern.

Say i when wrecking yard hunting......what 302? 5.0s? would i be looking for and how would i be able to identify, that i had the right ones.

Flash.

97XJ Jeeper said:
what can expect by upgrading to these injectors on a stock 97 4.0 with a intake, hi-flowcat, and a flowmaster super 40 2 1/2" catback?

Minimal. Unless you've significantly opened up the intake and exhuast tracks, or have increased the displacement of the engine; the ECU will compensate (to a limited degree) for a larger injector by reducing the pulse width - meaning the injector will be open less. Why? Because that's the way the system is set up. It tries to maintain an "ideal" AFR, and it's smarter than a carburettor.

There would be some mild benefit from switching to the "four-hole" later Ford injectors, due to more efficient atomisation of fuel, but that's about it. It would be a couple of percentage points in fuel economy, tops.

I know nothing (Sgt Schlutz) about the Renix system. So take it with a grain of salt.

But most speed density EFI systems inject fuel by how long they hold the injector nozzle open, called pulse width. So for a bigger injector with the same fuel pressure, you'd get more fuel for the same pulse width. You'd also get more fuel with the same injectors, but greater fuel pressure is another trick. BUT, most EFI system are adaptive, meaning they use the O2 sensor to "infer" how close you are to the stoichiometric 14.7:1, then they make adjustments to the pulse width to get the 14.7:1. It doesn't really read the A/F Ratio, the O2 sensor isn't that accurate, buts its very accurate at always crossing over right at 14.7:1, so the computer really tries to bounce back and forth just a little over and under the 14.7:1 to keep it really close to that figure. Usually the computer stores the adjustment and re-uses them when the same conditions come up later.

So if you put in bigger injectors, the computer will inject more fuel at first, but it will notice its rich and then make an adjustment and reduce the pulse width to get the same amount of fuel as before.

Now, in some conditions, the motor needs richer A/F than the 14.7:1. Like warm-up and Wide-Open-Throttle (WOT), and in those cases the O2 sensor can't help at all, because all it can do is tell you when you bouncing back and forth between just over and under 14.7:1. Thats OPEN LOOP Mode, meaning the Feedback Loop of the O2 sensor is now open and not providing any feedback. In Speed Density Systems, the computer just goes off a table of the spec engine needs for fuel in the conditions present and uses that pulse width. So in this case, at WOT and Warm-Up, bigger injectors would result in more fuel being injected. That is, if the Renix system is different than Chrysler and Others. Most systems also apply the correction table learned in normal CLOSED LOOP Mode to the OPEN LOOP MODE. So, if you put in bigger injectors, the computer notices and reduces pulse width to get the same amount fuel as before in all modes.

Besides, you get more power by getting MORE AIR AND FUELinto the motor, just adding fuel makes you go rich and if anything you lose power.

Sorry, but a CAT Back and Hi-Flow CAT is NOT enough to increase airflow thru the motor that you would need bigger injectors. Like mentioned before, bigger injectors would most likely just be a waste of money. Spend the money on something more likely to make power.

So how do you identify the injectors.......all 5.0s us the 4 hole/19 injector?.....YES,NO?

Flash.

Back