• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF?! CLASS 1 Receivers on front of XJ!!

harwood39

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i have owned my xj for 3 or 4 weeks now, and i decided to take off the flares due to hitting a dear and trim the fenders. I also decided to take off the bumper caps and trim the bumper for now. When i pulled the caps off, i found 2 class 1 receivers mounted to each frame rail. They did a really nice job of this and reinforced the frame rails very nicely. its no just some ghetto job either. Any one know what these would have been installed for? I want to say for a tow bar, but its just weird how they custom made class 1 receivers for this job. On the up side it gives me PERFECT recovery points to mount shackles to a couple hitches to slide in there.

I will post pics late tonight also for every one to see.

You may be right - a custom recovery option.

Since you're saying "Class 1," the square should be 1-1/4" across, should you want to make "D-ring shanks" to replace the ones you didn't get.

I have seen front receiver kits for an XJ (Class 1 and Class 3, or 1-1/4" and 2" square tubes) in various catalogues - but they come to a central attachment point. Front receivers are useful not only for winch quick-mounts (keep the winch on a tray, and it goes into either receiver,) but I've also found them handy in jobs were I had to move a lot of trailered equipment, since you double your options to hook up, and you can back a trailer in by driving straight forward, and you can directly see anything you're likely to hit - a nice plus.

From what you're saying, at least it's not a shonky job. Even if you don't post pix, could you let me know you took them? I'd like copies for the Archives myself...

Crash_AF said:
Nah, his profile says it's a 98 so no miles without the ignition on (digital odo)

The speedo went electronic in '91. Just because the display was mechanical, doesn't mean anything. So your (I can only guess) assumption here, is incorrect. The ticker is still rolling while you are dragging the rig. And the digital readout updates as soon as you click it over.

Mine had towbars, had 190,000 on odo, called org owner, over 100k are behind his rv, my tranny's goin tho, bein pulled 100k creates a bit of heat and with engine off it doesnt cool.... watch out

Actually, they are class II my bad, Here are some pics.

I am working on making some D shackle/ring brackets out of class II hitches. They will work perfectly for this since they are straight and not drop down hitches. The only thing i ran into trouble with is the d-rings wont hang, they will be horisontal, not parallel to the ground due to the way the hitches are designed, and the 3/4 rings with 7/8 in pins dont fit since the shank hole is only 3/4, so im either going to grind it bigger, or buy one size smaller rings.

91 Jeep Project said:
The speedo went electronic in '91. Just because the display was mechanical, doesn't mean anything. So your (I can only guess) assumption here, is incorrect. The ticker is still rolling while you are dragging the rig. And the digital readout updates as soon as you click it over.

That's interesting, because when I had my 98 I rolled for a mile with the ignition off and it didn't read that mile on the odo.

Later,
Joe

harwood39 said:
Actually, they are class II my bad, Here are some pics.

I am working on making some D shackle/ring brackets out of class II hitches. They will work perfectly for this since they are straight and not drop down hitches. The only thing i ran into trouble with is the d-rings wont hang, they will be horisontal, not parallel to the ground due to the way the hitches are designed, and the 3/4 rings with 7/8 in pins dont fit since the shank hole is only 3/4, so im either going to grind it bigger, or buy one size smaller rings.

Why not drill another set of holes in the box to turn it so they hang down?

Later,
Joe

I have the same receivers and I was trying to fab some sort of d-ring slide for each one. The only problem I ran into was the receivers are 1.5" instead of 2" or 1". I was going to get 1.5" square tubing, drill a hole for a pin in one end and drill another in the front for d-rings. One thing though,I couldnt find a way to get a d-ring with a 1.5" gap.

91 Jeep Project said:
Was it rolling on all fours, and did you drop any driveshafts?

Ran it up to 75 MPH and shut off the ignition and let it coast, all four on the ground, all driveshafts connected. Speedo dropped to 0 and when I turned it back on at the end of the mile, the odo read the same as when I turned it off.

Later,
Joe

yeah, mines a bit different but same objective
jeepers116.jpg

ff4-1.jpg

they are actually made for 1 1/4 in hitches. i just went to the store, baught 2 hitches, and went from there. Im planning on getting the hitches drilled so i can turn them, but they ar solid, not hollow. And i want to place them in a lil further than they will sit withthe original hole. I will keep everyone posted.

Or i will just drill the box since it is thinner.

I actually found one of those on an XJ in the junkyard and installed it on the MJ. I never thought of using them as receiver hitches, but I guess they would work, to a point. I installed it because it bolts on at the towhook bolts, and ties in both of the front framerails nicely...

Jeff

moved.jpg

mine is different than that setup. mine are actually 2 seperate receivers. and the bolt into the bumper mount holes, tow hook holes, and sway bar mount holes... lots of reinforcement...

ZacSquatch said:
yeah, mines a bit different but same objective
jeepers116.jpg

ff4-1.jpg
I have one like this sitting in my shed if anyone is looking for something...I was going to use it for my bumper pm me for details

Jeff in VA said:
I actually found one of those on an XJ in the junkyard and installed it on the MJ. I never thought of using them as receiver hitches, but I guess they would work, to a point. I installed it because it bolts on at the towhook bolts, and ties in both of the front framerails nicely...

Jeff

moved.jpg
Woe, what up with the vertical radiator? I have never seen that before. What engine was it running? Is that factory?

Back