• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Stud Nuts(searched)

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
I searched through the web and through my Haynes manual. with no good results for what im looking at.

My Passenger front shock is whobbling around becuase the top bushing is basically not even there. i have a parts jeep with a brand new bushing but both stud nuts are siezed. i used some liquid wrench but that just ate away the old bushing more so i dont want to try that on the good bushing.

i tried holding the flats with vice grips while turnign the nut but it is just stripping off the flat parts on the top of the stud.

are there any good tips or tricks to getting this stud nuts loose??

Thanks,
Owen

If you need to save the shock and threads on the stud, you might try these two ideas:

You could buy/borrow a nut splitter tool like this to remove the nuts off the top stud. But you could probably get a used shock that's easier to remove at the junkyard for what this tool would cost to buy.

6831051.jpg

Or buy/borrow a Dremel tool with a carbide cut-off wheel on it and cut across the nut and split it with a chisel or standard screwdriver.

i would like to keep my shock.i have a real small air die grinder and a dremel tool. so i should just make a fairly deep slit in the nut(without damaging stud threads) then whack it with a chisel to split it. or should i make two slits then try and spilt it right in half?

also. are the nut and washer all one piece i cant tell if mine are just siezed together or if they are one peice. cuz how do i split the washer if its all one peice?

Back