• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60's from a military international???

XJFETISH

NAXJA Forum User
I getting a 1970 or so military international 4x4. The guy that has it says they are 60's front and rear I am not so sure. I really don't care, they are going to be better than the 8.25 and 30 I have right now. My question is what is the track width, WMS-WMS approx??? Also do these axles come with lockers at all and what ratio? Anybody???

Aren't these reasonable questions to ask the guy you're getting them from?

Considering the truck is no where near where I am and he doesn't know a spark plug from a water pump, NO. I am just trying to get a heads up, I can always wait if no one knows.

spent 9 years in the army, and never seen one international in the inventory

Funny. You give us a vauge "oh, I'm getting this thing, I don't really even know what it is" story but you intend to swap the axles under your rig. But, you want us to give you some specific specs on them first.

That's kinda like walking into a room blindfolded and humping whatever you run into first. If that's your thing, great. Personally I figure that one should look into what they're about to do ahead of time.

Anyways, it's probably a regular international truck. Something I know little about. If it's a 3/4 ton it probably has a LP D44 up front, and a D60 in the rear. They'll be 67" wide most likely. I doubt there's any lockers factory, maybe a Dana trac-lok or two. Although, no-spins used to show up in the darndest of places. Gearing will either be deep or shallow, depending on the exact year and options. Just 'cause it's military doesn't mean it isn't crap.

Oh Teal... Scouts are 58" WMS-WMS if my memory serves me.

like I said unless it was air force, navy or marines, it was not in the army inventory. buyer beware I say, just my opinion

IIRC there was a truck that was used in the military similar to a Suburban.
I believe it was called a Travelall. Have I seen one.....yes, about 10 years ago when a wheeling buddy came across one and pulled the axles out of it.

It had 60's both front and rear..(can't remember if the front was HP).. Rear had no provisions for E-brakes though, the brake was installed on the driveshaft.

Haven't seen one since....

maybe highlander, didn't join army till 86, the still had jeeps in the inventory. but if the military did spec out buy internationals, I'll bet they are built to the hilt and prolly indistructable.

DirtyMJ said:
That's kinda like walking into a room blindfolded and humping whatever you run into first.
Thats usually my plan. As long as it is sans penis.

Ramsey, you are so focking gay

what? sans means without

well, thats so hopefull, the guy wants to know what kinda deal he's getting and you input is useless

You can order reprints of IH manuals off of this site: http://www.binderbooks.com/inttruckbks.htm

The only ones on this list with military affiliation are in the 1941-1949 section. If it was military there should be an ID / specification plaque attached in the cab somewhere so have the person you are buying this from tell you what model it is and search for that.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be like the IH Military vehicle here:
http://news.webshots.com/photo/1519988573056627778HyviWI
Let us know how the rear swap goes.

Last edited:
silent_bob_662001 said:
well, thats so hopefull, the guy wants to know what kinda deal he's getting and you input is useless
That it is, but I've come to accept that.

All I know is that the truck is complete and was built around 1970, I have seen the title and it is ex military. I will just have to wait and see I guess. The truck is complete except the bed so the drive train has to worth the 200 bucks I am paying for it, it has a 350 engine and a 350 transmission also a divorced transfer case which he doesn't know the type. The axles he thinks are d60's, he says they are both the same looking diffs. when I get it I will let you guys know.

I'm thinking it's a passenger side drop low pinion front axle, possibly closed knuckle... and probably a 19 spline rear 60 with a np205 transfercase.

just a guess thou...

Back