• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure

XJadam

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal

I had my oil changed and Jiffy Lube (moble 1 as always) two weeks have gone by and my Girlfriend has been driving my jeep all that time. I just drove it today and I noticed that the oil pressure was spiking at 80. I freaked to put it mildly. I pulled over and checked the oil level and it looked high ( could it be that I was driving it) I drove home very carefully and parked it. I started it up again and it still showed a high level on the dip stick. Do I have too much oil in my engine? Is this was is causeing my high reading. Or am I about to be seriously screwed?

Thanks
Adam

:confused:

XJadam said:
Here's the deal

I had my oil changed and Jiffy Lube (moble 1 as always) two weeks have gone by and my Girlfriend has been driving my jeep all that time. I just drove it today and I noticed that the oil pressure was spiking at 80.

What year is your XJ? My 2000 (and past 2001) does this occasionally; in both cases, it's down to a failing oil pressure sensor. If it's not blowing oil out past the gaskets or making horrible grinding noises, chances are you're in the same boat.

XJadam said:
I have a 99, it is not spraying oil everywhere so I guessing it is a bad sender. So how do I fix it?

I forget which way it works, if the sender plug is disconnected I don't remember if it reads -0- or -max-, check the plug first, it's right next to the oil filter, black tubular thing with a plug on the end. Unplug it and plug it back in or if its been knocked off plug it back in. Otherwise just pick up a new one and unscrew the old one and screw the new one in.

Back