• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selec-Trac Advantages

dougfunny2020 said:
What, if any, advantages are there to a selec-trac transfer case? (other than full time 4wd on non-slippery surfaces)
no advantage
weaker, and more moving parts to wear out
good for the soccer mom

mattyg said:
no advantage
good for the soccer mom

Written like a true non-242 owner.

That aside, the obvious advantage is 4FT - essentially an AWD mode. Given that we don't surface the roads around here for weather, I wouldn't trade mine for anything. It's also great for trail work where locked axles aren't required - being able to make tight turns in high range without wheel hop rocks.

Is it weaker than the NP231? That depends on what you want to do with it. The NP231 is rated for approximately 2100 lb./ft. of torque; the NP242 for roughly 1500 lb./ft. While this may seem like a massive difference, remember that no stock XJ in low-range first gear is going to be coming anywhere even close to these limits.

I had a 231 in my last XJ; I have a 242 in my current one. Quite frankly, unless I were building a moon buggy, I wouldn't trade the 242 under any circumstances. Nothing wrong with either case; it's just that the flexibility of the 242 wins out for me given how I use it.

Selec-Trac might be better for the morons that think 4WD means you can drive at dry highway speeds on snow covered highways with 4WD or people that don't understand automotive drivetrains and differentials (like mentioned, Soccer Moms).

Okay, you caught me. Nobody wheels a 242, ever. I admit it. I just made my reply up so that I could feel better about mine.

Well done, freeloaders, for blessing us with your valuable insight; without it, we might have been wrong about a transfer case that's been in use on road and trail for 20 years. I suggest celebrating your achievement with a nice game of hide and go f*** yourself.

??

I wasn't saying there was something wrong with having Selec-Trac / NP242. I'm only pointing out, there are people out there that have 4WD vehicles that have NO IDEA how the Drivetrain works or how to use it. In those cases, an open/limit-slip type differential between front/rear would be a good idea to have, opposed to a locked-differential front to rear. There are clueless idiots out there that take "PART-TIME ONLY" 4WD and drive it on paved roads or in snow, at high speeds, thinking thats the way it should work.

Both have advantages/disadvantages and different capabilities.

Maybe someday in the future, I'll get an XJ with a NP242, or swap in a 242 if I can afford it in a future XJ.

dougfunny2020 said:
What, if any, advantages are there to a selec-trac transfer case? (other than full time 4wd on non-slippery surfaces)

disadvantage would be that there are less options for a sye kit with the 242 than with the 231.

mattyg said:
no advantage
good for the soccer mom

Obviously you've never owned one before....

Well, I agree with casm 100% on this. Neither one is stronger (per say) than the other, for what 90% of the people do with it.

I have the 242 in my XJ and the 231 in mom's KJ, and I wouln't give up my 242 for anything. Like casm said, the ability to make tight turns in a high range 4x4 mode with minimal wheel hop/binding is awesome. Not to mention that now that my tires are worn out, the 242 makes the Jeep stick to the road like glue in the rain.

I havent had a bit of trouble out of either t-case, and with that said, my next Jeep will have the 242 in it.

Okay, hopefully I can clarify what set me off here (and it's a number of things):

Rick Anderson said:
Selec-Trac might be better for the morons that think 4WD means you can drive at dry highway speeds on snow covered highways with 4WD or people that don't understand automotive drivetrains and differentials (like mentioned, Soccer Moms).

Now compare the above statement with:

Rick Anderson said:
I wasn't saying there was something wrong with having Selec-Trac / NP242. I'm only pointing out, there are people out there that have 4WD vehicles that have NO IDEA how the Drivetrain works or how to use it. In those cases, an open/limit-slip type differential between front/rear would be a good idea to have, opposed to a locked-differential front to rear. There are clueless idiots out there that take "PART-TIME ONLY" 4WD and drive it on paved roads or in snow, at high speeds, thinking thats the way it should work.

Both have advantages/disadvantages and different capabilities.

The above makes your position clear, unlike the first post which came across as bandwagon-hopping. Now look at that in light of the original reply:

mattyg said:
no advantage
good for the soccer mom

Couple this with the fact that the original poster has three posts, is asking a perfectly valid question, and getting jack for real replies and it should be pretty obvious why my replies went the way that they did. A lot of the noob-jumping around here is getting old, and particularly when it comes from non-members. While I now understand that that wasn't the intention, it wasn't really possible to read it that way from the first couple of replies.

Anyway, back to the regularly-scheduled thread.

No, when I wrote my 2nd Reply, I looked over the thread and I did see how you might have gotten the wrong impression.

I was just trying to point out, why "Full-Time" 4WD option is getting more popular, despite the arguments against it. If you don't know what your doing, and/or aren't going to use it properly, you'd be better off with a "Full-Time" 4WD intead of "Part-Time" 4WD.

The only disadvantage I could think of would be the greater complexity would mean there is more things to go wrong. Which, I think is unlikely with a properly maintained vehicle that isn't modified or at least modified properly, and drivetrain problems are corrected before they chew up the XFER Case.

The Higher Torque Rating of the 231 may be because its needed to handle the greater shock and binding that comes with "Part-Time" 4WD only.

I have limited XFER Case experience, BUT, I'm guessing the XFER case problems come from abuse. Either not using the 4WD as its designed, or modifying the vehicle improperly, like lifting it and not getting drive shaft angles correct, or not fixing drivetrain/u-joint problems and letting the binding feedback into XFER case and chew it up. And NOT maintaining the vehicle properly, that means the whole drivetrain, not just the XFER case and NOT correcting little problems before they cause much bigger problems.

Have 220 on an 89 with selecttrack, never a problem. owned it since new, Live in Oregon on unpaved roads and use it in the woods all the time.Filled it with synthetic at last service.

I have to agree with CASM. I have 231 in my '91 and a 242 in my '90. Yes the 231 can take more of a beating and slip yokes set ups are harder to come by for the 242 (89xj) but I don't do any hardcore wheeling, mostly old logging roads, gravel pits, some river beds, etc. Only have 3" of lift so don't really need a SYE. I would not give up my 242, I wish my 91' had one, but... to each his own.

I have a 242 in my MJ and I love it. I run it with 35" tires and a manual tranny. The full time option is great for slushy/wet roads where the tail on the MJ would otherwise get squirrelly. Haven't had a problem with the case in the rocks or the mud and it launches pretty good in full time too... :laugh:

Later,
Joe

Doesn't the 242 have a viscous coupling?? That part alone is as much if not more than a transfer case. That is the only thing that would scare me about the 242. Like stated above had it in a GC and I wouldn't complain if it were in my XJ

krelja said:
Doesn't the 242 have a viscous coupling??

Nope. It just adds a selectable centre diff.

249 has the viscous coupler.

242 is a great case, and anyone who bashes it, obviously knows little about it. I've yet to break one, and i'm extremely hard on my vehicles. I'm anal about maintanence, but I beat my XJ like a redheaded stepchild, and it never complains.

I've own 2 XJ's with 231's as well, and they are a great case, never a problem with them either, just replaced a stretched chain in one, but that was with over 240k on the clock.

I've owned both, and there are no advantages to having a 231 over a 242, besides the obvious lack of SYE options... Though i've yet to see a properly installed hack and tap fail.

I've owned two 231 t-cases, and can say without hesitation that I'd love to have a 242.

Am I a soccer mom? Nope. I'm a guy. ;) I haven't gone wheeling in almost two years now, and why? No money to pay for parts that break! *L* Honestly, I drive my XJ on the road and dream of being able to afford taking it off-road someday. Hopefully, these facts won't make my opinion worthless.

Why would I like a 242 vs the aftermarket friendly 231? It's simple; the roads I often find myself on alternate between totally clear and icy, then snow plastered, then clear, then drifts, then black ice, then... Yes, I should be able to see what's coming, and drop the t-case in and out of 2wd and 4wd as needed; but what about when I'm driving at night? And no, I'm not going 70 mph on backroads. I'm doing 45-50, which is often at, or below the speed limit.

I would like to be able to just toss it into 4-full time and go. No fuss, no muss. The 242 allows you to do this. Also, I would like for someone who might borrow my XJ to be safer in the slippery stuff by being in 4wd, (yes, I know it doesn't help you stop any better, but it can easily keep you from being broadsided in the middle of an intersection when you can't make it across in time to avoid the guy who can't stop.) If I loan my Jeep to someone who doesn't know it as well as I do, they'll likely leave it in 2wd.

The 242 is a good, solid unit. It'll hold up to the abuse most folks will throw at it (it'll hold up to a 5.2 litre, and more!) and be reliable and trustworthy for years to come. True, there's no 4:1 kits for it (that I know of) and SYE kits for it aren't as good as they are for the 231 (although GoJeep has a wicked write-up for a 242 SYE on his website!) Truth be told, I don't need these things, and likely never will.

In closing, the 242 is good for most folks who DD their Jeep. It's a solid t-case, and has the best of all worlds for drive-train select-ability. The 231 is also a good t-case, but seems better for folks who want options for aftermarket upgrades.

:)

I wish my 97 had the 242. It would seem to me any one who has ever driven between 1" of slush and dry roads in 50' of road would love the versitility of the 242. 32" mud terrain tires don't grip so well in slushy or icy conditions and the ability to leave it in FT instead of constantly shifting in and out of 4wd makes focusing on driving much better. I was spoiled by my old 89 limited. Throw in ABS and you can rest easy while the wife runs to town in it.

Back