• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32's or 33's with my setup?

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
92 xj 4.0
4.5 - 5 " lift
4.10 gears
d30/d35 (86 xj non clip)
AR 767 rims 4 inch offset
minor trimming

My xj is a daily driver and weekend trail toy. Currently run this setup with 31s.

What would be better on this setup ?

Last edited:
Might want to define your question!
Better for gas milage?
Better for the axle?
Better for wheeling?

MoparManiac said:
i know a lot of people will say to ditch the d35 and at least get an 8.25 29-spline if you can.

no way, not running 31-33 inch tires on a DD. i get sick of hearing people rag on dana 35s they arent that effing bad....

-Tim

I am pretty much the same setup as you except mine is a 89 and the non c clip axle is a little more stout then the c clip model. I have ran 33 inch mud terrians with a locker for 2 years and only broke 1 shaft,mostly because of my male ego kicking in(aka too much happy pedal) you should be fine..

i have about the same setup but with 3.07 gears and ive run both 32s and 33s. I did notice a difference in speed and acceleration when i went to 33s but i DD mine and drive the piss out of it and its just fine. dont get the best MPG but it doesnt really bother me too bad and for a DD/weekend wheeler your D35 is fine.

RCP Phx said:
Might want to define your question!
Better for gas milage?
Better for the axle?
Better for wheeling?

I guess i am asking a little bit of all of the above. LOL. I am assuming gas mileage would be worse with 33 's the 32's. I know the d35 aint the best in the world but i ran 33's on a yj d35 for 3 years with no problems. I am not looking to swap another diff in right now.

canadianwheeler said:
I guess i am asking a little bit of all of the above. LOL. I am assuming gas mileage would be worse with 33 's the 32's. I know the d35 aint the best in the world but i ran 33's on a yj d35 for 3 years with no problems. I am not looking to swap another diff in right now.

the gas mileage (out of the 3 choices) will be best with the 32s. the acceleration would be best with 31s. with 31s your interstate rpms will be slightly high, with the 33s slightly low (this is all compared to stock)

33s would probly rub a little bit since you are doing "minor" trimming

-Tim

MoparManiac said:
i know a lot of people will say to ditch the d35 and at least get an 8.25 29-spline if you can.

It appears he's asking about tire size, but one should always upgrade axles whenever possible.

That said, get yourself some 33s, trim the fender if necessary, and get your diffs regeared for said tires.

i have stock suspention on my xj and i am running 31s. i have cut the front fenderwell and my jeep still looks good and i can fit a 32 in. tire and still not have clearance issuse even with the suspention at full flex. i would think with 4.5 to 5 inches of lift you could get like 35s under that think. just my opion though

I've run all three sizes on my D30/D35 combo and 4.10s. I'm running 33s now with a bolt-in D35 and I've never broken a shaft and that's not being gentle either. The setup is on 4.50" backspaced wheels so your 4.00" wheels will be fine.

With 33s you'll lose some mileage as the engine won't be in its peak position for efficient mileage.

I really enjoyed 4.10s and 32s...seemed like a perfect setup with 4" of lift and would go anywhere on the highway at 20 mpg and still crawl the Rubicon with no trouble.

The 31s just looked a little small.

If you have to keep the gears for now and choose tires, go 32". If you can re-gear soon, go 33".

If you have any plans to go bigger, start looking for a D44 or an 8.8.

Back