• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfire Question??

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, i just picked up an '89 Xj sport 2door last week, it did'nt come with a key and i had to drive it home that nite so i broke part the key cylinder in the column with a hammer and screw driver, pulled it out in pieces and grab the rod in there to start it now temporarily. Problem is this was the first time it has been started in about 3 months, the kid (a good friend so i know he's not lying) said it ran fine when he parked it but now it has a pretty decent misfire, he told me he just changed the plugs in it, (I'm pulling them to check it out tomorrow) but could i have cause this issue somehow by breaking the igntion?? i did'nt break anything i did'nt have too, i don't think anyway, lol, but i did get a spark at one point, like a little shock off something in there, and blew the parking lights fuse through the ordeal. i'm gonna further diagnose this tomorrow cause i'm trying to get this thing on the road asap so i can take my Crx off the road for major work and done in time for summer. thanx guys. damn obd0 electronics.

hmm, yeah i just figured that out last nite, i replaced the cylinder with a new one and key, still misfires. i picked up new cap/rotor, plugs and wires, and some fresh oil. we'll see if anything clears up. it does'nt appear to have any vacuum leaks through visual inspection and the fact that it does'nt have high idle, if anything idle is too low, it bogs down to about 400 rpms at times before it catches itself.

Back