• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 tranny oil change..help...advice

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well ive got a pretty high mileage tranny. about 150k, my parents had it before me, and it was very well taken care of. but they dont think its been changed in quite some time now, so i know a flush would probably be a bad thing. whats the best way to go about doing this with high mileage/old fluid

To get the majority of it out, with out doing a flush, I would do a drain and refill more than once....maybe two or three times, with the last drain and refil involving pulling the pan off and changing the filter as well.

The reason I say do it more than once is just doing a drain and refill once doesn't get all of the old fluid out.

Pull the drain plug!There is no filter on the AW4 just a screen!

while we're on the topic. I had an 87 MJ with the aw4 and the dipstick tube was integral to the pan, making it necessary to take out a bellhousing bolt to release the dipstick. Is that still the design on the 2001? BTW the 'screen,' called a filter, still can get full of crud, so it's worth to change it, while you're at it.

i changed mine every 5k, about 4 times, with a new filter the first and last. my fluid always looks brand new, and mine does have an actual filter, not a screen.

I got my XJ with a 220k on the clock and a known history of neglect. The trans fluid was completely black. I started doing a drain and fill every other oil change, and 20k later I have smoother shifting and no problems. Don't pull the pan - it's not worth it.

MjTjNJ said:
while we're on the topic. I had an 87 MJ with the aw4 and the dipstick tube was integral to the pan, making it necessary to take out a bellhousing bolt to release the dipstick. Is that still the design on the 2001? BTW the 'screen,' called a filter, still can get full of crud, so it's worth to change it, while you're at it.
On my 99 that was the case. Also made for some creative ways in getting the pan down and away from the Jeep. I didn't know my wrist could turn that direction...lol.

urban_offroader said:
I got my XJ with a 220k on the clock and a known history of neglect. The trans fluid was completely black. I started doing a drain and fill every other oil change, and 20k later I have smoother shifting and no problems. Don't pull the pan - it's not worth it.
I personally don't see why one wouldn't change it. Same theory applies with motor oil....you wouldn't change the oil, and leave the same filter on there would you?

Actually, trans fluid cleans better. Sometimes it is suggested to be used in place of motor oil to give your engine a good cleaning.

So maybe that has something to do with it? Aka, it perhaps doesn't sludge up like motor oil over time and such.

Back