• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 27 96 2.5 HELP

tigerpaw

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a 27 set and stays on for a long time, causes hesitation on accel and poor idle when it's on.The manual says "further diagnostic needed". shop I deal with says probably the distributor.I have checked all wiring, connections to ECM grounds etc.It has 185k but is otherwise ok and all maintenace is done,good plugs etc. Any ideas?BTW no testing was done to determine if it was the distributor, they say that's"what is is usually".I'm leaning toward injectors,, maybe.

Assuming the 2.5 has normal Chrysler OBDI codes, it's injector related, and though there's a possibility that the distributor, which controls injector pulsing, could be the culprit, I doubt that the symptom of failure would sound so much like a single injector conking out. I'd check the injectors and harness. I think you have one that's intermittently going out, causing you to run on 3 cylinders. I'd check the injectors and the harness first.

A preliminary diagnosis that works on a 4.0 and might on a 2.5 if it's multi point injection with similar controls is to run it until it starts misbehaving, and then, while it's still idling, pull injector plugs one at a time. When you pull a working injector, the engine will bog. On a 4.0 it makes a kind of gasp, then recovers. On a 2.5 already running on 3, it might stall. Just keep doing this. If you hit a bad injector, nothing will change. Now all you have to do is figure out whether it's the injector itself or the harness and ECU. But if you get this far one thing you can be sure of is that it's not the distributor.

Back