• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35x14.50 on 8" wheel

I personally wouldnt go anything less than a 10 on a 14.50 wide. I put some 13.50's on a 8 wide wheel and had to air them WAY town to get all the tread to contact the ground, then in between all the lugs there were stress marks. I ran about 18 pounds to get the tread flat, and I probably could have went less. I assume these are SSR's, if you pay that kind of money for tire, you probably dont want the thing wearing right down the middle quicker than you can say wallawallabingbang. Your call though. On the other hand, it can be done.

Waterhammer said:
Yes. Spring or scourage for wider rims... No, beadlocks won't really fix the situation.
If I'm not mistaken weld on beadlocks add 1" in width.

I was thinking it was more around 2" if I remember from most the weld-on beadlock kits (big reason I didn't go with them, I"m runnin 34x10.50 LTB's) Never the less I would get at least a 10" wide rim for a set of 14.50's

its pretty simple really you add 4.5 inchs to your wheel width and your tire sound be close to the wide...

doesnt always work though...

GrayT said:
No no, I mean what's the "4.5 rule?"

I've never heard of that before... just trying to edumacate mehself! :)

Oh my bad. Ok....if you have an 8" wide wheel a 12.50 tire is the "ideal" for that wheel. 10" wheel, 14.50, and so on. Again, not perfect and it's worked well for me in the past.

Ok- what I was saying... I've heard the rule of 4 as well. If you use a tire with a tread width of more than 4" over your rim width you run the risk of popping the bead, especially while aired down. This is because the bead isn't sitting properly in the rim anymore. Kinda hard to show w/o a diagram. If you could beadlock you inner AND outer bead this would be a non issue, but then you could still over-stress your sidewall and tear it . Make sense?

Back