• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tierod end hitting stablizer bolt

DaveW

NAXJA Forum User
After installing drop brackets I went and flex to check tire clearances. I noticed that the tie rod end that connects to the drag link was catching on the axle mount bolt of the steering stabilizer.
I pull the bolt and turned it around so the bolt head (being shorter) might give some clearance. It was not enough.
I thought the axle might have been pushed to far worward but the wheelbase is only 101.75". Did not think the .75" over stock should cause this.

I do not have a problem on the street but when flexing the tie rod end can catch on the bolt head. This can be enough to prevent the steering from working. And of course this will happened at the most inopportune time.

I search for any mention of this problem but found none.

Has anyone run into this?
How did you correct it? (short of a new steering setup, don't have the cash right now.)
How can this be corrected.
Here are a few pics. I circled the bolt & tie rod end.

In the first two pics you can see the clearance issues.
below_end.jpg

below_middle.jpg

I was wondering if longer pitman arm might drop the end just enough to clear the bolt. So I added this pics to show the alignment of drag link and track bar.
front_view.jpg

By looking at pic #2, it looks to me like you have the same problem I just got last time wheeling (2 weekends ago)- the drag link has lost it's curveature at the attachment point for the TRE, which brings it closer to the axle and hits the bolt. I know you said no new steering set up due to lack of $, soooo, you could remove the track bar and put it in a press to put some curve back in it, then readjust toe and recenter steering - I'm not real sure this is too good of an idea, so I ordered the 1 ton steering conversion from JCR to cure mine as I really don't want to take chances with steering components. You could verify this as the problem by comparing with another XJ that hasn't been wheeled too hard, I did that and mine was about 3/4 inch closer to the axle, when I bent mine it threw the steering wheel almost 90 degrees off center and the toe setting went way out. Hope this helps.

Mike

I ran into this problem on my 98 with the RE 5.5 kit with DB's. I just broke out the deck grinder and clearanced the bolt head.

XJ6 said:
By looking at pic #2, it looks to me like you have the same problem I just got last time wheeling (2 weekends ago)- the drag link has lost it's curveature at the attachment point for the TRE, which brings it closer to the axle and hits the bolt. I know you said no new steering set up due to lack of $, soooo, you could remove the track bar and put it in a press to put some curve back in it, then readjust toe and recenter steering - I'm not real sure this is too good of an idea, so I ordered the 1 ton steering conversion from JCR to cure mine as I really don't want to take chances with steering components. You could verify this as the problem by comparing with another XJ that hasn't been wheeled too hard, I did that and mine was about 3/4 inch closer to the axle, when I bent mine it threw the steering wheel almost 90 degrees off center and the toe setting went way out. Hope this helps.

Mike
CanMan said:
Is the drag link possibly bent(pushed backwards)?
I did notice hat looked like a bend in the drag link in the pics. The tie rod is bent too, found that over a year ago. I might try to bend it out some to get me by for several month. I have the same worry about weaking the steering.

I do know where to find an extracted stock steering linkage. I was going to compare with it to see if it was bent.

kubtastic said:
possibly its the drop brackets changing the position and caster of your axle?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20340

Even clearancing for the bolt could be achieved with a small change in comparison to the problem in this link: interference from the swaybar hardware.

I di dnot notice andy contact with the sway bar link. It was to hung up on the stabilizer bolt.:D

My caster as about 5 degrees. I had to make several adjustments to get the pinion angle close. The top of the axles is rotated a bit forward. I may have to try a combo of caster changes and a slight bit of bending the drag link.

CartsXJ said:
I ran into this problem on my 98 with the RE 5.5 kit with DB's. I just broke out the deck grinder and clearanced the bolt head.
I thought about grinding it down but I would have to take off to much and it might make it difficult to use a wrench.

traitor5150 said:
I had the same problem when I put my RE 5.5 kit. It has self clearenced over time and now it's fine...:spin1:
I don't think it will self adjust. It catches to well. However it is better after turning the bolt around but still it catches.

Hook a budys winch to the draglink and pull. Worked for me.

r u running the stock pitman arm? If so, maybe do a drop pitman arm but make sure your trackbar and draglink are the same angle.

XJ6, The JCR 1 ton tierod will likely hit your trackbar bolt at full lock. Just an fyi so you dont think something is wrong.

Back