• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to please the wife...

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I need to spruce up the wife's XJ Laredo - needs a new headliner, carpet, console covering (on the ceiling), etc. Seats seem to be OK, but a new steering wheel might be nice too. It's a 92.

What's the best/cheapest way to find and buy these kinds of things. Junkyard probably doesn't have anything better than hers. Who has these things and who can be trusted with mail order, etc? Something in GA would be nice. Cheap would be real nice ;)

Mine could use window and door gaskets if you know of a place for that too... (an 89)

Thanks,
Skip

I was just at a you pull it sat. You'd be amazed at how nice the interior was on a few of the jeeps. When I get around to building my storage boxes I'm going to grab 2 bucket seats from there for my back seats.

This isn't what your looking for, but this is how I keep my wife pleased when it comes to Jeeps. Have had the brown one for about a month. I have to call it "her Jeep" or she gets mad as hell at me!!
102_3734.jpg

the date is wrong on the camera this was taken 2 days ago, March 12,2007

I inherited a "brown" one just like it. My wife really like it too. It has the 4.0 so its easy to maintain with 2 XJ's in the driveway as well.

Headliner you can do yourself, takes about two hours or so, pick your own material/color/pattern.
Carpet is available online, JC whitney an a few others, do a search on carpet here, quite a few links will pop.
Interior, boneyard for used or there are some nice aftermarket seats available for decent prices.

As for the headliner... I just got some material from Wal-Mart and some adhesive spray. I plan on using that when I re-do the headliner and overhead console. If that doesn't turn out how I want it... I thought about using spackle spray paint like I saw another Jeeper do to his headliner... it's different and looks kind of nice actually. Plus you don't have to worry about a saggy headliner! I swapped interior colors to grey... and went to the junk yard and found the least stained grey carpet I could, took it home and used a steam cleaning vac and it looks almost new... amazing what that stuff can do. I used some stuff called 'Awesome' on it as well... basically cleans everything. Unless the carpet is really stained or ripped you can revive the color and it will look good as new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideas : Massage her feet, buy her flowers, clean the house... many things to please the wife.

The chapter for sale forums as well as locally often have crashed vehicles. That would probably be your best bet, something that is junked from a wreck might have a flawless interior, but something junked due to age, use, and abuse will probably be a bit rougher on the inside.

Headliner you can buy online. The material is expensive though. You can also get headliner material from Jo-Anne's for about $10 a yard. It came in black or grey. Just depends how much you are looking to spend. I'm going the cheap route with cheaper material and don't think it will look all that bad. As long as you take your time and do things right the first time. A lot of times carpet/headliner/trim just needs a good cleaning. Get some all purpose cleaner for the inside trim etc. Shampoo/steam clean the carpet. Unless it's completely shot or you want to change colors... I'm going the DIY cheap route because I can't justify spending $200+ on new carpet/headliner etc...

Thanks for the ideas. The headliner has separated, but I may try taking it out and spraying adhesive and putting new material on. I hope I don't wrinkle it! Does the base cardboard or whatever it is crack easily?

The carpet probably has to be replaced. She watched mine for 3 yrs before agreeing to have me get her one, but it does need some TLC inside and out (it has the clearcoat cancer). If it starts to look like new, she'll like it a lot more. I can put up with a lot more 'rough edges' than she likes to...

Skip

Skip, I just took out my headliner like 2 days ago. Just make sure you have all the upper trim off. Unscrew the visors etc... the only hard part that gave me guff taking out the headliner was near the windshield... it's kinda tucked up in there and the corners can be a pain. Just be careful pulling it out. Try not to rip it. I saw another post here where a guy sprayed some fiberglass stuff on the back to make it a little sturdier. Just a thought...I would check the junk yard for decent carpet that could be revived before buying something brand new. It's rather spendy! I got some husky liners from the junk yard too from a Dodge Dakota. I just washed them last night and just need to trim a little so they fit inside the XJ. The JY has some good finds... try there first to spruce up her ride a bit before you go spend big $$ for something brand new. There's other things for the XJ that that kind of money could go towards. I've spruced up my Chief w/all JY items. I even found a BOSS partial system w/speakers/tweeters/cross-over network.. It's amazing what the JY can do for you. Good luck!

I'd suggest Ebay, JCWhitney or Craigslist. The first two can get expensive w/ shipping, but items are readily available. Craigslist can be a gold mine for people parting out vehicles, etc and if you search locally, then you save the shipping!! It can take awhile, but I just scored wheels & tires this way after a month or so of waiting. Headliner can be done cheaply w/ a quality spray adhesive and a heavier weight fabric from Wally-World or a local craft shop. There is a chain craft shop that sells "headliner specific fabric" - saw someone post it on here - can't remember the name though - don't have any around me - it might show up in a search though.

I may have missed it but I didnt see ebay mentioned or craigslist. I know, I know what some say about ebay. I had great luck with everything I bought on ebay. Look for 100% feedback and ask questions.

BTT.......with my center console..i pulled the sagging fabric.Scraped the junk off, cleaned it up, and used "Flek stone" on it.and then on the dash trim. YOU MUST use the sealant spray also or else it will scratch off.....I think it lookks much better than that old nasty fabric. Just a thought...

Back