• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan removal

Jess

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to replace my rear main and oil pump. I have removed all the bolts holding the oil pan up and tried to free it with a big rubber hammer-but it won't budge.

What can I do to get the pan loose without damaging to mounting surface?

Beat your head against it :spin1:. Seriously, if its never been off or its been a long time, they're a bugger. I wish I could give you a magical tip, but it took lots of banging with a rubber mallet.

I used a thin bladed putty knife, which I ground the tip to a sharp edge. Used a hammer to tap it in between the gasket and the pan. Took my time, working it in a little at a time as I worked my way around the pan. After a couple of passes, it popped free.

Yeah, you're probably going to have to carefully cut into it. Once it's started, the rest should follow much more easily.

Take your time... don't rush it!

I finally got the pan to break free, however in the process it recieved some damage. I believe it is best to replace it with a new pan.
I was looking a JC Whitney's web site earlier and saw a pan made by Trans-Dapt which has a 3/16 skid plate made into it....but I could only find it for the V8 Jeep engines.

Does anyone know if this product or another similar product is made for the 4.0 and where I can find it? This seems like a good alternative to a new pan and a skid.

Back