• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full hydro setup

The glory wagon

NAXJA Forum User
19_326954103_0_ALB103.jpg

So i searched a bit on full hydro, a found a lot on hydro assist, but does anyone know what is involved in converting your steering box with maybe some kind of proportioning valve to regulate flow to the ram? what would it look like, how would you go about doing it? I've never done my own hydro steer setup before, the ram attachment part is no big deal, just the feeds.

Can't do it with a Saginaw style box. You'll need to get a new orbital valve and adapt it to your steering shaft...after figuring out how much flow/pressure you need to match the bore and travel of the ram. You'll probably want to change out the stock pump for something a little more robust too.

When looking the orbital, definitely go with a load-reactive one if you want the wheels to be self centering (dependent on alignment settings)...the one that most folks use is by Sauer / Danfoss. Also you'll have to get used to the fact that you won't have a "center" on the steering wheel - some fluid flow past the bypass and seals in the ram is unavoidable, so you'll generally have a different number of turns back to center (this will screw with the blinker switch etc. if you keep the stock column).

You'll also need an inline filter, reservoir, and cooler to keep the fluid from getting too hot and breaking down.

PSC is a good company to go with to get a complete package...

You'll find a lot more info on FHS on pirate4x4.com forums. That's the good part, the bad part is you'll probably be forced to spend $20 to get a star and then be told to search a dozen times. Finally, someone with some compassion for your situation will offer advice in increments over a period of four days during which time others will post in-between about how pathetic you are or why you need portals to justify FHS on an XJ.

(Not bitter, just confused by the internet's tribal mentality). ;)

Back