• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Front Axle Upper Bushings TOO SMALL?

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
This is for a 2WD '95 Cherokee (2.5L L4/AX-5).

I just got one of the upper bushings out of the Front Axle, I have a brand new bushing to press in. Thing is, the bushing fully seats with just hand force, it can be twisted and removed, no press necessary.

Its a Crown Bushing, from Quadratec.

The old bushing is far more snug, although I mangled it pretty well removing it. Anyone had this happen, did I get the wrong bushing? Is it common bushing mounts on the front axle to wear larger or something along those lines, so a new one won't fit tightly?

All is well in the world. I picked up some TRW Bushings at AdvanceAuto and they were a perfect interference fit. Part No. 12503, I asked for the MOOG Bushings they had on their website, but they didn't show it at the counter part system, they said it showed as being the same bushing.

I guess the UCA Bushing I got from Qaudratec must have been undersized ever so slightly. They were Qaudratec Part No. 56015.100. (I doubled check, that is the correct part num) The bushings came without a box or wrapping, no part number on the bushing, so I guess its possible they threw the wrong bushing into the package, but it was such a close fit, just short of enough diameter for a true interference fit, that it really looks like it was some sort of defect that it was just slightly off in diameter.

You may not get alot of feedback here on non live axle front ends. Most here have never seen one let alone worked on one. Heck, I didn't even know the XJ's came in a 2wd model till a year after I bought my 98 and was down in Florida. Was eating breakfast in a breakfast place and thought 'man that XJ looks 'wrong' for some reason'.

No, the 2WD version is a Live Axle.

Imagine the 4WD Front Axle without the cast pumpkin, the axle tubes are instead one continuous tube across. The ends of the tube with a cap welded in, and the hubs having a plate with a thru bolt covering the splines for the hub.

That is literally the Front Axle for the 2WD Model, instead of welding tubes onto an axle pumpkin, they have one tube across and rest of the drive stuff plugged up.

All of the control arms, track bar, springs, shocks, swaybars all connect to the same spots in the same way.

The AdvanceAuto Parts System said the Bushing was for 4WD, but the OEM Parts Catalog showed the bushing being the same for 4WD and 2WD, so I ordered them and they worked perfectly. Not like the Qaudratec Bushings, which they either sent me the wrong ones or they are defective in some way.

When you see stock replacement suspension pieces that are different for the 2WD and 4WD versions, I'm thinking, it may have more to do with the part being optimized for the forces from a drive axle compared to just a steering axle.

Rick Anderson said:
No, the 2WD version is a Live Axle.

Imagine the 4WD Front Axle without the cast pumpkin, the axle tubes are instead one continuous tube across. The ends of the tube with a cap welded in, and the hubs having a plate with a thru bolt covering the splines for the hub.

That is literally the Front Axle for the 2WD Model, instead of welding tubes onto an axle pumpkin, they have one tube across and rest of the drive stuff plugged up.

All of the control arms, track bar, springs, shocks, swaybars all connect to the same spots in the same way.

The AdvanceAuto Parts System said the Bushing was for 4WD, but the OEM Parts Catalog showed the bushing being the same for 4WD and 2WD, so I ordered them and they worked perfectly. Not like the Qaudratec Bushings, which they either sent me the wrong ones or they are defective in some way.

When you see stock replacement suspension pieces that are different for the 2WD and 4WD versions, I'm thinking, it may have more to do with the part being optimized for the forces from a drive axle compared to just a steering axle.

I've gotten wrong parts from quadratec a time or two, one that sticks was the headlight rings for my 97TJ, only 2 of the 4 tabbed holes lined up with the bucket, called em and that was the only ones they had. Still have not found a replacement that will fit all 4 holes in the bucket... The only thing I can figure is that about mid year of the 97's they made some changes, slider controls in the hvac went to round, grill setup changed as did the hood release latch, fender holes changed, just a bunch of little stuff that you would normally never notice until you slow roll the sucker and start replacing the whole nose, windshield and frame, roll bar cage, etc, THEN you find out the little 'gotchas'... and those mysterious two part number listings.

Back