• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch adj....?

slabelle67

NAXJA Forum User
replaced the rear hatch on my 1989 laredo and now it rattles. is there any adjustment? its all lined up etc. pushing in on the the hatch after it's closed, i have a little play inwards.

Try unscrewing those rubber bumpstop deals on each side a bit. There's two and they are accessible when the hatch is open. Right above the bumper.

The striker is also adjustable loosen and move in towards body to reduce the play your talking about. The bottom of the fiberglass hatches also have a tendecy to wear out where the latch bolts into them and can cause this. If this is the problem, it can be built up extra layers of fiberglass and the holes redrilled. Just make a cardboard tenplate so the holes get redrilled properly. If the latch is loose in the hatch, you'll have to fix first or you'll never get the play out of it.

Are the strikers adjustable on 93 XJ's as well? I have like a 1/4" gap at the bottom of my liftgate. Has anyone had to shim out the top to make the bottom close better? I'm getting really good contact on teh seals at the top, but it's not even touching at the bottom.

This is my first XJ. Ive had a YJ for bout 10 years now. This XJ is driving me crazy with it's intermittent leaky windows/gaskets/doors. Any help is much appreciated.

Back