• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Filled With Mud

Water, water, water. plenty of water and even then that only works well if the mud is still wet. Hand sprayers work. Also depending on the year if it's an external slave you will have to remove it to gain access. Then try to clean it as best you can. That might work temp, in the end you will have to pull the tranny and really clean it out. If you can get it deep enough into a stream maybe you could put it in first with the TC in N and let it idle for a while.
Either way if your tranny is packed I bet your alternator is too.

Plays For Jeeps said:
^Always so negative :)

Nothing like reading here to reinforce my disgust for mud, I'll take rocks anyday.

If the clutch is slipping due to mud, to get the Jeep off the trail, put the front of it against a tree or strap it to another vehicle and let the clutch out and go have lunch. When the mud rubs off the clutch, it will grab and stall the jeep. Once you get it running, take it to a car wash and clean it up.

A great solution to being trail ready for the situation would be, get an old 5 gallon refillable fire extinguisher that you can fill with water and pressurize yourself and keep it with you, I have one in my garage that will tear skin if your not careful with it, its very powerfull @ 80psi and will shoot a stream of water about 100'
just my .02

Plays For Jeeps said:
Is that a BMJA bi-law or something? :laugh:

Paragon mantra is what it is, now RC on the other hand seems to draw mudders.

HTH did you get that much mud IN the bellhousing?

I have been in some pretty heavy mud....and never gotten mud, of a considerable amount, in the bellhousing.

Rev

When you are cleaning it out once you get it home make sure you get the debris out too. I was playing in a puddle and it had a little gravel in it. It took a while with the power sprayer before the clutch felt like it engaged properly.

It was in my TJ with a 231 so the bellhousing might be a little different, but there is a little slit along the bottom and I just kept the power sprayer nosel there for probably 30 minutes before I got everything.

Should do all that stuff in your front yard if it's good dirt :laugh3:. Post up some pics before you clean it though. Here's a link to mine. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/TJ-Shocker/Tuttle%209-24-05/How-Muddy.jpg

Back