• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does my angle look?

CMNCHE

NAXJA Forum User
Looks ok to me but this is my first expirment with welding perches to get angle instead of shims.

T-case
1zx075j.jpg

Axle
1zx0a3m.jpg

CMNCHE said:
Looks ok to me but this is my first expirment with welding perches to get angle instead of shims.

T-case
1zx075j.jpg

Axle
1zx0a3m.jpg
1. x2: need a shot of the whole thing
2. That's an MJ: did you actually have vibe problems?
3. From as little as I can see it looks like you don't have an SYE and you pointed your pinon up towards the tcase. That's not how this works: if no SYE is installed then your pinion yoke has to be parallel to the output shaft on the tcase.

Kejtar said:
3. From as little as I can see it looks like you don't have an SYE and you pointed your pinon up towards the tcase. That's not how this works: if no SYE is installed then your pinion yoke has to be parallel to the output shaft on the tcase.
Good call on that Kejtar! But I'll jump the gun and say IF he did have a SYE installed, the pinion angle looks decent to me. It looks like he could even go up another degree or two (can't tell for sure due to the camera angle). Of course, I think he should wait because the SYE will necessitate a new driveshaft of different length, which will change the angles, should he decide to go that route.

JEEPTUBE said:
How bout mine? Does it look good or do i need to go lower. Right now i have 6 degree shims on them.
angle.jpg

driveshaft017.jpg

:sunshine:
Theoretically a hair to high? You should be pointing just underneath the output of the tcase with the sye so that when you give it gas, and the snout (output) of the axle comes up and is inline. Also take into account that if this is "unloaded" setup, what will happen when you load up your XJ with stuff in the back: rear suspension will sag a bit and you'll be pointing above the tcase.

thanks
yah this was unloaded at the time. Should it be in park or nuetral when looking at the angles? Or does it matter since there is no force load coming from the tranny/t-case?

I was also thinking maybe a hair too high because it looks exactly inline with the driveshaft. Maybe load it down and drive it to see if you get vibes. Especially pay attention to any vibes that occur on acceleration. If you don't get any vibes whatsoever, you could leave it as is.

CMNCHE said:

T-case
http://i1.tinypic.com/1zx075j.jpg

Axle
http://i1.tinypic.com/1zx0a3m.jpg

Hard to tell from pictures...
Best to go to the hardware store and get yourself an angle finder.

Take a socket that fits in the hole in the yoke where the u-joint cap fits.
Put the socket into the hole and put the angle finder on top of that.
Take a reading, then record it.

Places to measure:
At TC output Yoke.
At TC side of the drive shaft.

At Axle side of the DS.
At Axle Yoke.

The TC reading will be direct.
The Axle reading you will need to subtract 180 from to get the DS angle.

The two angles should be equal +/- one degree on a single cardan DS (like you have).

Common ways of reducing DS angles are to drop the T-Case 1" and/or to shim the rear axle.
Dropping the T-Case is cheap and if you replace the cross member with a Rustys dropped HD crossmember you don't even give up clearance.
Select shims according to readings taken above.

Last edited:
JEEPTUBE said:
Oh yah i feel the vibes. I have some 4 degree shims that i will put in what do ya think?
Not to make it sound bad but you might want to get your own thread going because advice for one will be different from the advice for the other as one rig has SYE and one doesn't.

JEEPTUBE said:
How bout mine? Does it look good or do i need to go lower. Right now i have 6 degree shims on them.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/JEEPTUBE/angle.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/JEEPTUBE/driveshaft017.jpg
:sunshine:

Same advice I gave the other dude, except...
On a SYE Ignore the need for the TC side angles.
Most folks have their rear angle set at 1-2 degree or so (just a tad nose down). That way, when the axle wraps up because of power being applied, it straightens out instead of over shooting.

Back