• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrade or too much?

XJadam

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 xj has 129,000 plus miles on the orginal starter and it is starting to show it's age. If I up grade to a high torque starter will I screw something up or is it safe. Since I have you here can I also upgrade my alternator without adding anything (super sounds, mega lights etc....)

Any help would be....er....a..... well helpful

Thanks

Adam

Starter - a start motor with more torque may make your engine kick over faster.

Alternator - since the current output is controlled by the regulator, the alternator doesn't spend a lot of time at full output - in normal use, it's probably there about 1% of the time. If you plan to take advantage of an uprated alterantor, you'll want to put in larger mains cabling and an aftermarket fuse of some variety (I handle ANL fuses - they work well and are readily available,) since the OEM "fuse" protection (which may be a fusible link wire or a pair of MAXI60 fuses in the PDC) would only cover you to 100-120A or so. I've got a 185A Delco that I mainly use when I'm doing jumpstarts - so I pulled out the OEM wiring, replaced it with 1AWG, and put in an ANL 200 fuse and block. Problem solved.

Well, I would say, get the highest output alternator you can find and slap it in there, then get some lights...maybe a few extra batteries, an inverter and a PS3 on a Plasma Screen in the cargo area, but thats just me...

Do you have a need for a high output alternator, no reason to fix what isn't broken...I'm going on 80000 miles loaded with accessories without a hiccup from my stock alternator (120 Amp). On the other hand, upgrading the mains is probly the best idea in the world regardless of need for higher amps, when I went to do mine I found the stock wiring badly corroded and even frayed.

Do either of you that have done this have any photos of what the "main" wiring looks like? I was thinking of going to a 190amp alternator. I'm running Dual batteries with about 1600w of lighting on top of my roof rack, I don't notcie too much of an issue, but when idling with all of them on, I do notice a little of a drop.

Pics would be cool

Spaz said:
Do either of you that have done this have any photos of what the "main" wiring looks like? I was thinking of going to a 190amp alternator. I'm running Dual batteries with about 1600w of lighting on top of my roof rack, I don't notcie too much of an issue, but when idling with all of them on, I do notice a little of a drop.

Pics would be cool

Mains wiring is simply the large-gage wires from the battery to the users, battery to the alternator, and the main ground from the engine to the firewall. Chrysler used 6AWG wiring for pretty much all of those - except the engine to firewall ground, which is an open braid.

I don't have any file pix for your reference - but you can see what upgraded mains look like installed, if you click the link in my sig and pillage around (I'm fairly sure I fixed those pic links - please let me know if it didn't work. I've been a bit busy lately...)

A number of people have replaced their mains with something larger - ranging from 4AWG to 00AWG - and have reported good results.

If you want more electric power at idle, tho, the simple solution is to idle faster. That's where a hand throttle with a friction lock will come in handy, or you can see if your PCM will support the "Extended Idle" option (introduced by Chrysler in, oh, 1994/5 I think - as an option for Police XJ's. Prerequisites were the 4.0L engine and automatic - if you don't meet those two requirements, don't bother looking any farther.)

Have you checked the current output of your alternator at idle? 1600W of lighting is about 133.33A of draw - and you're probably struggling to keep up. Again, that's where the "extended idle" or a hand throttle with a friction lock will come in handy - push your idle up to 1000-1200RPM, and you should see that become less of a problem. Try it with the foot throttle, and you'll probably see what I mean...

XJadam said:
My 99 xj has 129,000 plus miles on the orginal starter and it is starting to show it's age. If I up grade to a high torque starter will I screw something up or is it safe. Since I have you here can I also upgrade my alternator without adding anything (super sounds, mega lights etc....)

Any help would be....er....a..... well helpful

Thanks

Adam

You don't need either. The stock starter and alternator is all you'll ever need.

Back