• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

May need to replace my engine soon- what years?

96 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
What years would be good canidates for a replacement engine for my 96 XJ?
Obviously 96, but what others years will everything match up?

96 Cherokee said:
Thanks. However, my concern was wiring harnesses and such match up. Maybe the 96-98 all take the same conections. Those prices are considerably less than Jasper. Any idea why?
The place where I bought my motor was located in Spokane, WA. Jasper also has a shop there. I called Jasper in Spokane and they quoted me a price that was only slightly higher than the other place. I asked both places ... "why are you better?" and they BOTH said, "because we replace such and such." They each gave a list of what they replace, and it was pretty much the same. I don't remember everything now, but I researched it pretty carefully 2 years ago, and came to the conclusion that my place was better than Jasper, and had a better warranty.

montanaman said:
The place where I bought my motor was located in Spokane, WA. Jasper also has a shop there. I called Jasper in Spokane and they quoted me a price that was only slightly higher than the other place. I asked both places ... "why are you better?" and they BOTH said, "because we replace such and such." They each gave a list of what they replace, and it was pretty much the same. I don't remember everything now, but I researched it pretty carefully 2 years ago, and came to the conclusion that my place was better than Jasper, and had a better warranty.

Thanks for the info. Now I don't know if an engine from a left hand drive Jeep will work in my right hand drive. The mechanical fan and electric fan are reversed on my engine. Have to do more research.

chadd_raylee_389@h said:
why mess with the strait six if it goes. you can put a small block chevy in it for around the same price and have twice the power
uh find me a 380hp chevy for $500, untill then shut up

now 96 Cherokee, any 4.0 from 91-98 will work in your 96, just reuse all the electronice from your 96 and you will be fine

ROBZ95Xj said:

now 96 Cherokee, any 4.0 from 91-98 will work in your 96, just reuse all the electronice from your 96 and you will be fine

What about the pully for the mechanical fan being on the other side of the engine?

I'm running a 99 long block in my 96. Swapped everything over, it was pretty easy and runs great. I did have to relocate the temp sensor for the gauge as the 99 has no place to mount on the rear of the head.

Tom

montanaman said:
Where did you put it?
The temperature sender is currenty mounted in the back of the radiator in the unused temperature switch location. This is not a good location as it does not show the real engine temp. I plan to move to the t-stat housing, heater hose line or the engine block.

96 Cherokee said:
What about the pully for the mechanical fan being on the other side of the engine?
just use all your pully's and brackets, and you will be fine

ROBZ95Xj said:

LOL!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wait a minute... I wasn't aware of this, does this mean that a 98 will not work in a 93? I just assumed it would, maybe a little extra work but was no problem. Can someone get back to me on this asap, may have to cancel the motor I have on hold. Thanks.

tkjeeper said:
Wait a minute... I wasn't aware of this, does this mean that a 98 will not work in a 93? I just assumed it would, maybe a little extra work but was no problem. Can someone get back to me on this asap, may have to cancel the motor I have on hold. Thanks.
It will work. Yes, you might have to swap over sensors, manifolds and accessories, but it will work. The years listed are direct swaps that drop and go. One thing I have learned here is you can run any year 4.0 with a little work.

Thanks Rather B Camping, that is what I assumed but I got a little worried for a minute. Is there anything I need from my donor vehicle then other than the basic engine. Sorry for the hijack but it's related to the topic.

Ok I just bought A 92 and I have a 88 that is beat to hell. I blew the motor in the 88 and was working on putting a 01 motor in it but quit half way through.
The 92 has 200k on it and leaks oil and has a shot rear main sell. why wont the 01 motor just swap in the manifold looks the same?

I feel stupid for asking but have been out of the xj game for alittle more then a year now.

Thanks Will

Back